With the Chase Freedom® Card, you can earn a $150 cash back bonus after you spend $500 on purchases during your first 3 months of opening an account! Additionally, you can enjoy a 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter. Get an unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
Plus, enjoy no annual fee along with this card. Below is all the information and details you need to earn your Chase Freedom® Card bonus!
Chase Bank offers great bonuses with their Checking/Savings accounts also!
Table of Contents
- 1 Chase Freedom Card Summary
- 2 $150 Chase Freedom Bonus Offer
- 3 Earning Cash Back
- 4 Redeeming Cash Back
- 5 5% Chase Freedom Categories for 2018 & 2019
- 6 Tip: Additional UR Bonus Points With Sapphire℠ Checking
- 7 Maximizing Rewards Potential with the Chase Freedom Card
- 8 Ultimate Rewards Airline/Hotel 1:1 Point Transfer Partners
- 9 Chase Freedom Cardholder Benefits
- 10 Author’s Verdict
- 11 Alternative Credit Card Options
Chase Freedom Card Summary
With the Chase Freedom® Card:
• Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
• Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
• Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
• 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 17.24-25.99%.
• 3% intro balance transfer fee when you transfer a balance during the first 60 days your account is open, with a minimum of $5.
• No annual fee
• Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
• Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit JourneySM
$150 Chase Freedom Bonus Offer
Concerning the bonus offer, spending $500 or more within 3 months should be straightforward. However, if you encounter any issues, here are some tips to help you acquire this offer:
• Plastiq - Using Plastiq allows you to pay for your personal expenses such as rent, tuition, mortgage, auto lease etc. Although they charge a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card, this will contribute to the card bonus that you will receive. There is also a referral program that allows you to earn "Free-Free Dollars" that goes towards processing fees as well.
• Funding Checking Accounts - When it comes to funding a checking account, opening your initial deposit with a credit card is the usual way to go about it. However, if you want to have more opportunities, you should open a checking account that offers a sign-up bonus. This allows you to work towards bonuses from not one but two different sources instead. Banks like Chase, Huntington Bank, TD Bank and BBVA offers credit card funding, and for your opening deposit, you can often fund anywhere from $50-$1000 with a credit card, depending on what bank offers it.
• Gift Card Purchases With Using a Credit Card - Another way to acquire the bonus is using your credit card to purchase gift cards. Buying a a gift card or an individual merchant card typically do not require a purchase fee and are used towards leisure, so gift cards are ideal. However, gift cards such as a Visa or American Express do incur purchase fees because they can be spent anywhere, but gift cards that are specifically for a certain online shopping site such as Amazon or eBay don't.
As for a Citi Credit Card, you should call customer service and ask them to lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before making any purchases because Citi tends to read gift card purchases as a Cash Advance.
Ideally, you should do this with any card just to be safe. Lastly, there is such thing as a discounted gift card which can be purchased on Raise or eBay. If you use a credit card often for everyday purchases, it can build your credit score that will contribute towards paying for things such as bills and taxes.
Earning Cash Back
The Chase Freedom offers 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in total purchases in certain quarterly rotating spending categories. This means, you can get $75 in total cash back rewards per quarter. Categories vary each quarter and year, so check the Chase Freedom Card cashback calendar to keep up with what’s being offered.
You must manually activate your 5% cash back spending categories before the 15th of the last month of the applicable quarter. Once you activate, your cash back earnings are retroactive throughout the quarter.
After hitting the quarterly spending cap, additional purchases in the 5% cash back categories earn an unlimited 1% cash back. All other purchases earn an unlimited 1% cash back.
Redeeming Cash Back
Redeem your rewards for a statement credit, a deposit, gift cards, or purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards shopping portal. Cash back rewards don’t expire as long as your account is open. There’s also no minimum to redeem for cash back. For more information, see how much your cash back is worth here.
5% Chase Freedom Categories for 2018 & 2019
The categories change every year but typically follow a trend. View our current Chase Freedom® calendar here.
|Chase Freedom Quarters||Categories|
|Q1 2018 (Jan. 1 to March 31)||Gas Stations, Internet/Cable/Phone Services, Chase Pay, Android Pay, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay|
|Q2 2018 (April 1 to June 30)||Grocery stores (not including Walmart and Target purchases), Paypal, Chase Pay|
|Q3 2018 (July 1 to Sept. 30)||Gas Stations, Lyft, Walgreens|
|Q4 2018 (Oct. 1 to Dec. 31)||Department stores, Wholesale clubs, Chase Pay|
|Q1 2019 (Jan. 1 to March 31)||Gas Stations, Tolls, Drugstores|
|Q2 2019 (April 1 to June 30)||Grocery stores (not including Walmart and Target purchases), Home improvement stores|
|Q3 2019 (July 1 to Sept. 30)||Coming soon|
|Q4 2019 (Oct. 1 to Dec. 31)||Coming soon|
Tip: Additional UR Bonus Points With Sapphire℠ Checking
The Chase Sapphire℠ Checking account lets you combine Ultimate Rewards points from all Chase products and you can also earn an additional 60,000 bonus points.
With the Chase SapphireSM Checking:
• Enjoy 60,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards bonus points when you join SapphireSM Banking. Within 45 days, transfer a total of $75,000 or more in qualifying new money or securities to a combination of eligible checking, savings and/or investment accounts, and maintain the balance for at least 90 days.
• Enjoy a new kind of banking experience
• No ATM fees worldwide - down the street or around the globe
• Perks that add up - relationship rates, special access and help when you need it
• Open online in minutes
• Email my upgrade code
• Available in: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MS, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV
Maximizing Rewards Potential with the Chase Freedom Card
If you want to take the effort to earn rewards, then The Chase Freedom card allows users to maximize their rewards potential. There is no annual fee and it is only used on the 5% quarterly categories. You can also enhance it with a higher flat-relate rewards card.
The most effective way to maximize your rewards potential is of course pairing it with other Chase cards. The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve (consumer) or Chase Ink Business Preferred Credit Card (business) are the most recommended ones.
You can also redeem your best card at the highest rate with all of your Ultimate Rewards points that you’ve earned.
- Points for travel are worth 25% more through Chase Ultimate Rewards with the Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Ink Business Preferred cards
- Points for travel are worth 50% more through the Chase Sapphire Reserve card
- The Ultimate Rewards points earned through the Sapphire Preferred, Ink Business and Sapphire Reserve cards can also be transferred to hotel or airline partners at a 1:1 ratio.
- Only these 3 Chase cards offer these benefits, the Chase Freedom card itself does not
Depending on where you book your reservations and accommodations, it is better to compare a traveling book with Chase’s partners rather than the Ultimate Rewards portal. By utilizing these cards, it can increase your rewards benefits much more.
Ultimate Rewards Airline/Hotel 1:1 Point Transfer Partners
|Airline Transfer Partners||Hotel Transfer Partners|
|Aer Lingus AerClub||IHG Rewards Club|
|British Airways Executive Club||Marriott Bonvoy (Previously Marriott Rewards)|
|Flying Blue AIR FRANCE KLM||The Ritz-Carlton Rewards|
|Iberia Plus||World of Hyatt|
|Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer|
|Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards|
|Virgin Atlantic Flying Club|
Chase Freedom Cardholder Benefits
- Zero Liability Protection: See something off with your account balance? You’re not responsible for unauthorized charges made with your card or account information.
- Purchase Protection: Get covered for your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- Extended Warranty Protection: Your U.S. manufacturer’s warranty is extended by an additional year on eligible warranties of three years or less.
- Complimentary Rental Car Insurance: When you decline the rental company’s insurance option and charge the entire rental to your Chase Freedom, you’re automatically covered for theft and collision expenses in the U.S. and most international markets (secondary to your own personal auto insurance).
- Free Credit Score: Get a free credit score that’s updated weekly with Chase Credit Journey.
If you’re looking to earn cash back on all your purchases and be able to receive an admirable 5% cash back in certain categories with no annual fee, then the Chase Freedom® Card may be the card fit for you. It’s best stacked with another card earning a higher cash back rate to use once you’ve capped the 5% quarterly category. Or, use it with another card that earns more than 1% cash back on all other purchases. A great one would be the Chase Freedom Unlimited® Card, offering unlimited 1.5% cash back on all your purchases.
However, if you dislike tracking your bonus categories and rewards calendar, we don’t recommend the Chase Freedom. Please provide feedback in the comment section below by telling us your thoughts and experience with this card. Additionally, visit BankDealGuy for more credit card bonuses and see our list of the best Chase credit cards! In addition, if your’re interested in banking with Chase, check out our full list of Chase bank deals.
Alternative Credit Card Options
The Chase Freedom card can be paired with other Chase cards. When paired with these, the benefits will increase.
Ultimate Rewards Cards To Pair With Chase Freedom
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card:
• Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spending $4,000 in the first 3 months. (That's $750 toward travel when redeeming via Chase Ultimate Rewards®)
• Named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" by Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
• Earn 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide
• Earn 1X point per dollar spent on all other purchases outside of the travel & dining category
• No foreign transaction fees to worry about
• You're able to get 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
• Your points get 25% more value when redeeming for airfare, car rentals, cruises, & hotels, via Chase Ultimate Rewards.
• There are no blackout dates or travel restrictions - just as long as there's available seating on the flight - you're able to book via Chase Ultimate Rewards
With the Chase Sapphire ReserveSM Card:
• Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
• Named "Best Premium Travel Credit Card" for 2018 by MONEY® Magazine
• $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
• 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
• Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
• 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
• Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority PassTM Select
• Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
With the Ink Business Preferred℠ Card:
• Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
• Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year
• Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases - with no limit to the amount you can earn
• Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
• Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open
• No foreign transaction fees
• Employee cards at no additional cost
• $95 Annual Fee
With the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Card:
• One-time $150 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
• Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day
• No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus, cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
• 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months; 16.24%-26.24% variable APR after that
• 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 15 months; 16.24%-26.24% variable APR after that; 3% fee on the amounts transferred within the first 15 months
• Pay no annual fee or foreign transaction fees
With the American Express Cash Magnet® Card:
• Earn a $150 statement credit after you spend $1,000 or more in purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
• Unlimited 1.5% Cash Back on your purchases.
• Cash Back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
• Low intro APR: 0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 15.24% to 26.24%.
• $0 plan fees for plans set up during your first 15 months of Card Membership with Plan It®, a feature that lets you split up big purchases into monthly payments with a fixed fee.
• You spoke, we listened. Over 1.6 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2018.
• No Annual Fee.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
• Chase Bank Bonuses. Chase usually offers the most sign-up bonuses out of all the big banks. Read up and enjoy several promotions for their Checking, Savings and Business accounts.
• HSBC Bank Bonuses. HSBC has some big value offers available for their Checking accounts. Some require hefty deposits to qualify. They also have an online Savings account offering a very competitive rate.
• Huntington Bank Bonuses. Huntington has Consumer Checking and Business Checking accounts available throughout the year.
• Discover Bank Bonuses. As an online bank, Discover offers high and competitive rates on their Savings, CD, and Money Market accounts. Enjoy excellent customer service nationwide.
• TD Bank Bonuses. TD Bank consistently offers great Checking account bonuses all year long. Savings account offers are less frequently available.
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Accelerated Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Fast Track Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Community Business Checking||$200 Cash||Review|