American Express Membership Rewards® has many Membership Rewards credit cards and several travel partners you can transfer your points to. If you are wanting to find ways to maximize your rewards or if you’re thinking about getting a Membership Rewards card, be sure to keep reading for a complete guide to American Express Membership Rewards.
Check out our list of the best credit card bonuses here.
American Express Membership Rewards Quick Facts
|Personal Credit Cards||The Platinum Card® from American Express
American Express® Gold Card
American Express® Green Card
|Business Credit Cards||The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
American Express® Business Gold Card
|Redemption Options||Travel via Amex Travel or Expedia
Transfer to travel partners
|Average American Express Membership Rewards Value|| $0.005 – $0.01
Up to $0.02
Earning Membership Rewards Points
If you are familiar with rewards cards, Membership Rewards is known for having hard-to-earn points. This is mostly because of American Express’ once-in-a-lifetime welcome bonus policy. So, if you ever had a American Express in the past, you will not be able to get the introductory offer if you applied for the same card again.
Despite this policy, you can earn lots of points from many different Membership Rewards cards with bonus categories, in addition to using Amex Offers.
American Express Personal Credit Cards
The American Express® Business Gold Card offers 70,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
You'll earn more rewards:
• Earn 4X Membership Rewards points on the 2 categories where your business spends the most each billing cycle from 6 eligible categories. While your top 2 categories may change, you will earn 4X points on the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these categories each calendar year (then 1X thereafter). Only the top 2 categories each billing cycle will count towards the $150,000 cap.
• Earn up to $20 in statement credits monthly after you use the Business Gold Card for eligible U.S. purchases at FedEx, Grubhub, and Office Supply Stores. This can be an annual savings of up to $240. Enrollment required.
• Get $12.95 back in statement credits each month when you pay for a monthly Walmart+ membership (subject to auto-renewal) with your Business Gold Card. $12.95 plus applicable taxes.
This card does carry a $295 annual fee ($375 if application is received on or after 2/1/24), but no foreign transaction fees. (See Rates & Fees)
The Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card offers three Free Night Awards after you use your new Card to make $6,000 in eligible purchases within the first 6 months of Card Membership. Redemption level up to 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points for each bonus Free Night Award, at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy. Certain hotels have resort fees.
Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly through Marriott. Terms and Conditions Apply.
You can enjoy a complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card.
• 6x Marriott Bonvoy Points on each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
• 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
• 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
You'll receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy. Certain hotels have resort fees.
Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
This card does carry a $125 annual fee. (See Rates & Fees)
The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card has a welcome offer of 130,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Hilton Honors Business Card within the first three months of Card Membership.
• 12X directly with hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio
• 6X at US gas stations, on US purchases for shipping, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from US service providers, on flights booked directly with airlines or with Amex Travel, on car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies, and at US restaurants
• 3X on all other eligible purchases.
• Earn a Free Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend $15,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
Terms & Limitations Apply.
In addition, you can enjoy complimentary Hilton Honors Gold Status with your Hilton Honors Business Card & earn another Free Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend an additional $45,000 in purchases on your Card in the same calendar year.
This card has a $95 annual fee. (See Rates & Fees)
With the American Express Blue Business CashTM Card:
Earn a $250 statement credit after you make $3,000 in purchases on your Card in your first 3 months.
0.0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, 18.49% - 26.49%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening. APRs will not exceed 29.99%
Plus, earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%. Cash back earned is automatically credited to your statement.
From workflow to inventory to floor plans, your business is constantly changing. That’s why you’ve got the power to spend beyond your credit limit with Expanded Buying Power§.Just remember, the amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to American Express and other factors.
This card comes with no annual fee (See Rates & Fees).
With the Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express:
Earn 15,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $3,000 in eligible purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
0.0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, 18.49% - 26.49%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors at account opening. APR will not exceed 29.99%
Earn 2X Membership Rewards® points on everyday business purchases such as office supplies or client dinners. You'll earn 2X applies to the first $50,000 in purchases per year, 1 point per dollar thereafter. You’ve got the power to use your Card beyond its credit limit* with Expanded Buying Power.
More buying power allows for your business means more opportunities to earn points. That’s everyday business with the Blue Business Plus Card. *The amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to American Express, and other factors.
There card comes with no annual fee (See Rates & Fees).
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express has a welcome offer of 120,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
• 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on AmexTravel.com.
• 1.5X Membership Rewards points on eligible purchases at US construction material, hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers, and shipping providers, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else, on up to $2 million of these purchases per calendar year.
• 1X points for each dollar you spend on eligible purchases
• Unlock over $1,000 in value per year for statement credits on select purchases, including tech, recruiting and wireless with the Business Platinum Card.
• $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees charged by your one selected, qualifying airline to your Card.
• $189 CLEAR Plus Credit: Use your card and get up to $189 in statement credits per calendar year on your CLEAR Plus Membership (subject to auto-renewal) when you use your Business Platinum Card.
This card does come with a $695 annual fee. (See Rates & Fees)
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card offers 50,000 Bonus Miles after spending $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
Card Members save 15% when booking Award Travel with miles on Delta flights when using delta.com and the Fly Delta app. Discount not applicable to partner-operated flights or to taxes and fees.
• 2 Miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases at U.S. shipping providers and eligible U.S. advertising purchases in select media. Effective 1/1/2024, this benefit will have a cap of $50,000 in eligible purchases per category, per year.
• 2 Miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta and on every eligible dollar spent at restaurants.
• 1 Mile on every eligible dollar spent on other purchases.
This card carries a $99 annual fee ($0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99) (See Rates & Fees). However, there are no foreign transaction fees and you can take $100 off your next Delta flight - after you spend $10,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you will earn a $100 Delta Flight Credit to use toward future travel.
Terms and limitations apply.
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card offers 60,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business American Express Card Members save 15% when using miles to book Award Travel on Delta flights through delta.com and the Fly Delta app. Discount not applicable to partner-operated flights or to taxes and fees.
• 3X miles At Delta Per every eligible dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta and hotels.
• 1.5X miles on Large Purchases of $5K or more, up to 50K additional miles per calendar year.
• 1X mile on every eligible dollar spent on other purchases.
With Status Boost, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to 2x per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different from the miles you earn towards flights. Effective 1/1/24, this benefit will no longer be available, and there will be a new way to earn toward Medallion Status with the Card. Learn more at delta.com/skymilesprogramchanges.
This card does carry a $250 annual fee. (See Rates & Fees).
Terms and limitations apply.
The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card offers 70,000 Bonus Miles after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
Save 15% On Award Travel With TakeOff 15. Card Members now enjoy savings on Delta flights. Not applicable to partner-operated flights or to taxes and fees.
You'll earn 3X miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta.; 1X mile on every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
With complimentary access into Delta Sky Club, you can relax before your Delta flight, or find downtime between connections.* You'll also receive two Delta Sky Club One-Time Guest Passes each year so you can share the experience with others when you're traveling together. *Effective 2/1/25, Reserve Card Members will receive 15 Visits per year to the Delta Sky Club; to earn an unlimited number of Visits each year starting on 2/1/25, the total eligible purchases on the Card must equal $75,000 or more between 1/1/24 and 12/31/24, and each calendar year thereafter. Once all 15 Visits have been used, Eligible Card Members may purchase additional Delta Sky Club Visits (including Grab and Go) at a per-Visit rate of $50 per person using the Card.
This card does carry an annual fee of $550 (See Rates & Fees). However, there are no foreign transaction fees.
Terms and limitations apply.
Enroll in Amex Offers to earn extra, limited-time Membership Rewards points at participating retailers. Opt in via your online account or the American Express mobile app.
Redeeming Membership Rewards Points
Similar to other points-based programs, how you use your rewards will determine the value of them. Using Membership Rewards points for a fixed value within the Membership Rewards program will be the easiest way to redeem them, however this won’t give you the best value.
In order to maximize your rewards, you should transfer your points to a partner program.
Use your Membership Rewards points to book travel via the American Express Travel site or on Expedia. In either case, your Membership Rewards points will likely be worth between $0.007 and $0.01 when redeemed for travel, based on information we’ve gathered at the time of publishing.
The best part about American Express Membership Rewards is that it has more transfer partners than any other credit card loyalty program in the United States. Redeem American Express Membership points with the following travel partners.
- Aer Lingus
- Air Canada
- Air France/KLM
- All Nippon Airways
- British Airways
- Cathay Pacific
- Delta Air Lines
- El Al Israel Airlines
- Etihad Airways
- Hawaiian Airlines
- JetBlue Airways
- Singapore Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Choice Privileges
- Hilton Honors
- Marriott Bonvoy
Using your Membership Rewards earned, you can bid for a seat upgrade on multiple participating airlines. This method can net you almost $0.01 per point. However, if the bidding starts to escalate, you will start to lose value. The participating airlines include:
- Aerolineas Argentinas
- Air Canada
- Air China
- Air Mauritius
- Caribbean Airlines
- Etihad Airways
- Fiji Airways
- Gulf Air
- Kenya Airways
- Malaysia Airlines
- Silk Air
- Singapore Airlines
- TAP Portugal
|Redemption||Value Per Point|
|Gift cards||$0.007 – $0.01|
|Shop with points
(Amazon, Walmart, etc.)
Membership Rewards Top Travel Partners
Trying to find the best travel partners and deals is a strenuous task, so be sure to take a look at the best Membership Rewards travel partners to transfer to:
Choice Hotels has several properties in typically expensive European cities. These hotels range from 8,000 to 25,000 points, so there’s a good chance you’ll be able to find some sweet deals. Additionally, you will be able to use Choice points to book Preferred Hotel properties, which is a group of luxury hotels.
|One-way||Business||New York||Casablanca||44,000||Royal Air Maroc|
Not many other rewards programs transfer to Hilton Honors, so take advantage of the great value you can get by booking award stays at expensive or luxury Hilton properties. If you’re an elite member, you also get one free night when you book four nights using points.
|One-way||Business||Auckland||U.S.||62,500||Air New Zealand|
Because of its vast number of transfer partners, American Express Membership Rewards is a very flexible points program. However, unlike Chase Ultimate Rewards, it might be harder to earn points unless you have a premium Amex card like the Platinum card. In order to get the best value, you should transfer your Membership Rewards points to a partner loyalty program.
For more credit cards, see our latest list of the best credit card bonuses!