When you sign up for the American Express® Gold Card (Amex Gold Card), you have the opportunity to earn a welcome bonus of 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months. Terms apply.
With this card, you’ll earn 4X Membership Rewards® points when you dine at restaurants including takeout and delivery, plus, earn 4X points for Uber Eats purchases too. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X) and 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
This card comes packed with beneficial features especially if you’re constantly traveling whether it be for business or leisure. If this card is of interest, continue to learn more about this card and what it has to offer below!
|Chase Business Complete BankingSM $300 Bonus||Citi Priority Account: Up to $1,500 Cash Bonus
with required activities.
|Chase Total Checking® $225 Bonus||Chase Secure BankingSM $100 Bonus|
|HSBC Premier Checking $450 Bonus||Discover Online Savings Account $200 Bonus|
|Huntington 25 Checking $300 Bonus||Huntington Business Checking 100 $100 Bonus|
|Huntington Unlimited Business Checking $400 Bonus||Huntington Unlimited Plus Business Checking $750 Bonus|
|TD Bank Convenience Checking $150 Bonus||Axos Bank Basic Business $100 Bonus|
|Aspiration Spend & Save $150 Bonus||TD Bank Beyond Checking $300 Bonus|
|PNC Bank Virtual Wallet® Up to $300 Bonus||PNC Bank Virtual Wallet® Checking Pro Up to $200 Bonus|
|Axos Bank Rewards Checking $100 Bonus||Citigold® Account: Up To $1500 Cash Bonus
with required activities.
|SoFi Money $100 Bonus||Discover Cashback Debit $360 Bonus|
|Ally Invest Up To $3,000 Bonus||BMO Harris Smart Advantage Account $200 Bonus|
|BlockFi Up To $250 BTC Bonus|
Table of Contents
American Express Gold Card Summary
The American Express® Gold Card offers 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months. Terms apply.
You'll have the opportunity to earn:
• 4X Membership Rewards Points on Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, plus, earn 4X points for Uber Eats purchases too.
• 4X Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
This card has an annual fee of $250 with no foreign transaction fees (See Rates & Fees).
American Express Gold Welcome Offer
After spending $4,000 in the first 6 months of opening your account, you can earn 60,000 Membership Rewards Points (RP). There are many ways to go about this. Down below are several options to acquiring these points.
Earning Membership Rewards Points
The 4X on restaurants is huge, especially if you dine out a lot, on the American Express Gold Card.
The 4X points at U.S. supermarkets is also very big. However, this bonus is capped at the first $25,000 you spend per calendar year. Then, it decreases to 1X points. But even with the cap, the American Express Gold Card is one of the best cards for grocery spending, as it’s a common expense that many incur.
Plus, if you like flying, earn 3X points on flights purchased directly from the airline or at amextravel.com when you use this card to pay.
Redeeming Membership Rewards Points
Membership Rewards Points earned can be transferred to American Express’ travel partners, and each point is worth about 2 cents. These include Etihad Guest, ANA, Choice Hotels, Hilton and Marriott Bonvoy. Each travel partner has different values for your points, so make sure to do your research to find the best ones. Check the chart down below for more partnered airlines from Amex.
Membership Rewards Airline Partners
|Aer Lingus||AeroMexico||Air Canada|
|Air France/KLM||Alitalia||All Nippon Airways|
|Avianca||British Airways||Cathay Pacific|
|Delta Air Lines||El Al Israel Airlines||Emirates|
|Etihad Airways||Hawaiian Airlines||Iberia|
|JetBlue Airways||Qantas||Singapore Airlines|
Membership Rewards Hotel Partners
|Choice Privileges||Hilton Honors||Marriott Bonvoy|
You’ll generally get the most value from your points by transferring them to a partner. But you can also use points to cover charges on your billing statement, to shop on Amazon, to cover Uber rides, to buy gift cards and more. Plus, you can use points to book travel directly through Amex.
American Express Gold Cardholder Benefits
The Amex Gold Card offers benefits you can find on many cards with annual fees (see rates & fees). These include Purchase Protection, Return Protection, Extended Warranty, Car Rental Insurance, and much more.
You must use your American Express Gold Card to get these benefits. Below are the top benefits with this card:
- $120 Annual Dining Credit: Pay with your Amex Gold Card at select merchants to earn up to $10 in statement credits each month. These include Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. You must enroll for this perk.
- The Hotel Collection: Book a stay through the Amex Hotel Collection to earn 2X points on your purchase. Plus, enjoy a $75 credit toward dining, spa and resort activities at the property. Note that the credit only applies to stays of two consecutive nights or longer.
- Baggage Insurance: If your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged when you’re traveling with a common carrier, you’re eligible for up to $1,250 in coverage for carry-on baggage and up to $500 for checked baggage.
- Access to Amex Offers: Enjoy rewards at places you like to shop, dine, travel, and more. Log in to your account or use the American Express app to add offers to your card. Then, use your Amex Gold Card to pay and enjoy rewards directly on your statement.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: Note, some categories, such as the 4X earning on restaurants and supermarkets are limited to transactions made in the U.S. (see rates & fees)
To acquire the American Express® Gold Card, you will pay an annual fee of $250 (which seems heft, but be assured the benefits far outweigh this) (see rates & fees).
This will apply when you book a stay of at least two consecutive nights at participating properties, at americanexpress.com/hc. Plus, there are many other perks it offers as you can find above.
This card definitely offers many beneficial features that will make-up for it’s steep annual fee.
Provide feedback in the comment section below by telling us your thoughts and experience with this card. For more Amex offers, see our list of the Best American Express Card Promotions or an extensive list of the latest credit card deals.