With the Barclaycard Lufthansa Miles & More World Elite MasterCard, you can earn 20,000 bonus miles when you make an initial purchase and payment of the annual fee, then earn an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases in the first 90 days. To add, you’ll earn 2 award miles per $1 spent on ticket purchases directly from Miles & More integrated airline partners. See below for more details on this card and its offer.
Editor’s Note: To see the 60,000 points, be sure to scroll down to Welcome Bonus under terms & conditions
Table of Contents
- 1 Miles & More World Elite Mastercard Summary
- 2 Editor’s Alternate Pick
- 3 Miles & More Card 60,000 Bonus Offer
- 4 What are Miles & More Miles Worth
- 5 Miles & More Airline Partners
- 6 Miles & More World Elite MasterCard Top Features
- 7 Author’s Verdict
- 8 Alternative Credit Card Options
Miles & More World Elite Mastercard Summary
|Bonus Available||Get 60,000 award miles after spending a minimum of $3,000 in the first 90 days and after paying the annual fee.|
|Travel Credit||No travel credit included, but you can receive a companion ticket every year.|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||Receive 2 miles for each $1 spent on tickets directly from Miles & More airline partners, and 1 mile for each $1 spent on other purchases.
Convert 5,000 to 25,000 award miles to status miles at a rate of 5:1 once per calendar year.
Get a 15% discount code for hotel and car awards every year.
|Foreign Transaction Fees||None|
|Airport Lounge Access||Get 2 complimentary Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers every year.|
- Bonus miles
- Annual companion ticket
- Lounge passes
- Achieve elite status faster
- One-time discount on hotel & car awards
- No foreign transaction fees
- Annual fee
- Excellent credit needed to qualify
- Low earning potential
- Complicated rewards
Editor’s Alternate Pick
The British Airways Visa Signature Card offers 100,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
• 5X Avios per $1 spent on purchases with British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and LEVEL within your first 12 months from account opening, thereafter earn 3X Avios.
• 3X Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel within your first 12 months from account opening, thereafter earn 2X Avios.
• 1X Avios per $1 spent on all other purchases.
This card comes with a $95 annual fee and no foreign transaction fees. You'll be able to get 10% off British Airways flights starting in the US when you book through the website provided in your welcome materials. In addition, every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you'll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
Miles & More Card 60,000 Bonus Offer
Make use of the Miles & More credit card’s introductory offers: up to 60,000 bonus miles. The evaluation for the value of these points would be about $840 in value (more on that below).
To earn the bonus, you must charge at least $3,000 to your card to get then pay the annual fee, both within the first 90 days.
• Plastiq - Using Plastiq allows you to pay for your personal expenses such as rent, tuition, mortgage, auto lease etc. Although they charge a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card, this will contribute to the card bonus that you will receive. There is also a referral program that allows you to earn "Free-Free Dollars" that goes towards processing fees as well.
• Funding Checking Accounts - When it comes to funding a checking account, opening your initial deposit with a credit card is the usual way to go about it. However, if you want to have more opportunities, you should open a checking account that offers a sign-up bonus. This allows you to work towards bonuses from not one but two different sources instead. Banks like Chase, Huntington Bank, TD Bank and BBVA offers credit card funding, and for your opening deposit, you can often fund anywhere from $50-$1000 with a credit card, depending on what bank offers it.
• Gift Card Purchases With Using a Credit Card - Another way to acquire the bonus is using your credit card to purchase gift cards. Buying a a gift card or an individual merchant card typically do not require a purchase fee and are used towards leisure, so gift cards are ideal. However, gift cards such as a Visa or American Express do incur purchase fees because they can be spent anywhere, but gift cards that are specifically for a certain online shopping site such as Amazon or eBay don't.
As for a Citi Credit Card, you should call customer service and ask them to lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before making any purchases because Citi tends to read gift card purchases as a Cash Advance.
Ideally, you should do this with any card just to be safe. Lastly, there is such thing as a discounted gift card which can be purchased on Raise or eBay. If you use a credit card often for everyday purchases, it can build your credit score that will contribute towards paying for things such as bills and taxes.
What are Miles & More Miles Worth
Compared to other different airline-branded credit cards, depending on how you use your miles will reflect their worth. Typically, Miles & More miles are worth about $0.014. If you calculate your miles then 50,000 miles would have about $700 in value.
Your Miles & More miles can be used for:
- Flights with all Star Alliance and other Miles & More airline partners
- Upgrades with many Star Alliance partners
- Accommodation at hotels and resorts
- Car rentals
If you use Star Alliance airlines, that would be the best option for your Miles & More miles. Remember that there are some airlines that have a higher fuel surcharge for their award tickets.
Miles & More Airline Partners
Other than Lufthansa, you can gain and cash in your Miles & More miles with the following airline partners below:
|Adria Airways||Aegean Airlines||The Air Astana|
|Air Canada||The Air China||This Air Dolomiti|
|Air India||Air Malta||This Air New Zealand|
|All Nippon Airways||Asiana Airlines||Austrian Airlines|
|Avianca||Brussels Airlines||Cathay Pacific|
|Condor||Copa Airlines||Croatia Airlines|
|EVA Air||Jet Airways||LATAM Airlines|
|LOT Polish Airlines||Luxair||Olympic Air|
|Scandinavian Airlines||Shenzhen Airlines||Singapore Airlines|
|South African Airways||SWISS||TAP Portugal|
|THAI Airways||Turkish Airlines||United Airlines|
Miles & More World Elite MasterCard Top Features
- Having the companion ticket by itself would be worth the annual fee for the card.
- Every year, you’ll receive a free companion pass for Economy Class travel.
- This can’t be used with award travel, that means that you would have to pay full price for airfare to be able to use your companion pass.
- Every year, you’ll receive 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers, they will be valued for $35 each.
- Lufthansa has business lounges in several domestic airports, including Atlanta, Los Angeles, Orlando, New York and Washington D.C.
- Once every year, you will be able to convert your award miles into status miles at a 5:1 ratio. You would only be able to convert at least 5,000 miles and the most you can convert is 25,000.
|Award Miles||Status Miles|
- After you hit 35,000 status miles, you gain a Frequent Traveler status, it gives you more travel perks like:
- Complimentary Business Lounge entry
- Accelerated mile earnings
- Access to an exclusive customer service hotline
- Receive a 15% discount code every year for any hotel bookings and car rentals. You must have at least 8,824 miles (7,500 miles after discount) to qualify for the full discount.
No foreign transaction fees
- Buy items overseas without stressing over any foreign transaction fees with your Miles & More travel card.
The Barclaycard Lufthansa Miles & More World Elite MasterCard is good for those who would like to save and book United Airlines miles for more expensive flights. If you didn’t know, Lufthansa is a Star Alliance member, so you can use Lufthansa miles to book flights on United Airlines (or any other Star Alliance airline).
Note that you can will not be able to combine your Lufthansa miles with United Airlines miles to book 1 award ticket. You can also redeem miles for flight awards and upgrades on Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, SWISS, and other partners.
However, aside from the newly added perks, there’s a bit of a shortfall with the card. There has been an increased annual fee of $89 with the new bonus so that might be something you want to take into consideration when thinking about applying for this credit card.
Provide feedback in the comment section below by telling us your thoughts and experience with this card. Make sure to visit BankDealGuy for more credit card bonuses.
(Visit Miles & More for more information)
Alternative Credit Card Options
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card offers 70,000 Bonus Miles after spending $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
Earn now. Travel when you're ready. After you spend $10,000 in purchases in a calendar year, you will receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit on your Card to inspire your next travel.
You'll earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, and at U.S. supermarkets; 1X mile for every eligible dollar you spend on purchases.
Earn now. Travel when you're ready. After you spend $10,000 in purchases in a calendar year, you will receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to inspire your next travel.
There is a $99 annual fee, however, there is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year (See Rates & Fees). Now, you'll get get more savings with your first checked bag for free on Delta flights.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card offers up to 100,000 bonus points. Earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open, plus 50,000 more bonus points after spending $12,000 total on purchases in the first 12 months.
In addition, you'll earn 6,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary each year.
• NEW! Earn 3X points on Southwest purchases.
• NEW! Earn 2X points on local transit and commuting, including rideshare.
• NEW! Earn 2X points on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming.
You're able to redeem your points for flights, hotel stays, gift cards, access to events and more.
This card does carry a $99 annual fee, but there are no foreign transaction fee.
The United Business Card offers 75,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
You can also receive 5,000-mile better-together anniversary bonus when you have the United Business Card and a personal United credit card.
You'll earn 2X miles per $1 spent on United purchases, dining (including eligible delivery services), at gas stations, office supply stores, and on local transit and commuting; 1X mile per $1 spent on all other purchases.
The card does carry a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99, however, you're able to save up to $140 per round-trip with a free checked bag. In addition, you can enjoy priority boarding privileges and have the opportunity for two one-time United ClubSM passes each year — Over $100 in value per year.
Also, enjoy $100 annual United travel credit after 7 flight purchases of $100 or more.