Do you frequently fly with Southwest Airlines? Here's a card you may be interested in. When you sign up for a Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card, you will earn 40,000 points after sending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Additionally, you will receive another 6,000 bonus points after your card member anniversary. If you want to find out more about what this card has to offer and how it may be a good fit for you, continue reading below!
Table of Contents
- 1 Types of Southwest Rapid Rewards Cards
- 2 Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card Summary
- 3 Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier
- 4 Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Top Features
- 5 Earning Points
- 6 Redeeming Points
- 7 Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Cardholder Benefits
- 8 Author's Verdict
- 9 Alternative Credit Cards Options
Types of Southwest Rapid Rewards Cards
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Program has four different version of credit cards: Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card, Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card, Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card, and Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card, & Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card Summary
With the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card:
• Earn 40,000 points after sending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
• Enjoy 6,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary.
• 2x points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases & Rapid Rewards® hotel/car rental partner purchases; 1x point on all other purchases.
• Earn unlimited points that don't expire as long as your card account is open
• No foreign transaction fees.
• Redeem your points for flights, hotel stays, gift cards, access to events and more.
Learn More About This Card Here
Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier
After hitting the spend requirement threshold in the first 3 months of opening your account, you can earn the bonus points. There are many ways to go about this. Down below are several options to acquiring these points.
• Plastiq - Using Plastiq allows you to pay for your personal expenses such as rent, tuition, mortgage, auto lease etc. Although they charge a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card, this will contribute to the card bonus that you will receive. There is also a referral program that allows you to earn "Free-Free Dollars" that goes towards processing fees as well.
• Funding Checking Accounts - When it comes to funding a checking account, opening your initial deposit with a credit card is the usual way to go about it. However, if you want to have more opportunities, you should open a checking account that offers a sign-up bonus. This allows you to work towards bonuses from not one but two different sources instead. Banks like Chase, Huntington Bank, TD Bank and BBVA offers credit card funding, and for your opening deposit, you can often fund anywhere from $50-$1000 with a credit card, depending on what bank offers it.
• Gift Card Purchases With Using a Credit Card - Another way to acquire the bonus is using your credit card to purchase gift cards. Buying a a gift card or an individual merchant card typically do not require a purchase fee and are used towards leisure, so gift cards are ideal. However, gift cards such as a Visa or American Express do incur purchase fees because they can be spent anywhere, but gift cards that are specifically for a certain online shopping site such as Amazon or eBay don't.
As for a Citi Credit Card, you should call customer service and ask them to lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before making any purchases because Citi tends to read gift card purchases as a Cash Advance.
Ideally, you should do this with any card just to be safe. Lastly, there is such thing as a discounted gift card which can be purchased on Raise or eBay. If you use a credit card often for everyday purchases, it can build your credit score that will contribute towards paying for things such as bills and taxes.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Top Features
Transfarency is term coined by Southwest and their motto is “low fares, no hidden fees,” meaning that customers are treated honestly and fairly. Some perks of flying with Southwest are:
- First and second checked bags requires no fee (weight and size limits apply)
- No change fee (Fare differences may apply)
6,000 Rapid Rewards points are automatically added to your card if you renew every year as an anniversary bonus.
You can earn tier qualifying points (TQP) when booking a flight with Southwest Airlines® or through the use of the Rapid Rewards® Priority or Premier Credit Cards.
Earn 1,500 TQP for every $10,000 spent in a year, for up to 15,000 TQP per year. These points count toward the A-List benefits. A-List benefits include:
To qualify for A-List benefits, fly 25 qualifying one-way flights or earn TQPs in a calendar year.
- Priority boarding
- Priority check-in and security lane access
- 25% earning bonus on eligible flights
- Free same-standby (for an earlier flight)
- Dedicated A-List member phone line
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card has a no foreign transaction fees benefit when you make purchases abroad! This is convenient towards those who always have to travel outside the country for business trips.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier earns 2 points per every $1 spent with Southwest Airlines and Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partners. Southwest purchases include Southwest airfare, vacation packages, in-flight food and drinks, and others, provided they’re made directly with Southwest and not through a third-party booking site.
For all other purchases, you earn 1 point per every $1 spent. There's no limit on how much you can earn, and your points don’t expire as long as your account is open. Plus, enjoy unlimited reward seats and no blackout dates.
Redeem your acquired points for flights, gift cards, merchandise, car rentals, and more. The best way to redeem your points is for airfare, with no blackout dates or seat restrictions. Redemptions typically start at 5,000 for one-way flights and 10,000 for round-trip flights, but they’re subject to change per flight.
Points are worth one cent apiece when you redeem for flights, but they can be worth up to 2 cents apiece, depending on time, date, and season of your flight and other factors.
Short-haul flights will generally offer better value. Southwest regularly adjusts the number of points required to redeem a particular flight, so YMMV.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Cardholder Benefits
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier comes with standard travel and purchase protections. These include free first and second checked bags, lost luggage reimbursement, purchase protection, and extended warranty protection. Here are some more perks that the card offers:
Tier Qualifying Point Earnings: This card earns 1,500 bonus Tier Qualifying Points, which are Rapid Rewards points not earned through credit card sign-up bonuses or partner purchases, for every $10,000 spent.
You can earn up to 15,000 Tier Qualifying Points per year through this method, and an unlimited number of additional Tier Qualifying Points by paying cash for Southwest Airlines fares and making non-Southwest credit card purchases.
If you earn 35,000 Tier Qualifying Points in a calendar year, you earn A-List status.
You’ll receive benefits such as priority consideration on standby flights, priority boarding on all flights, and a 25% point-earning bonus. You can also earn A-List status by completing at least 25 one-way flights in a calendar year.
Card member Anniversary Bonus: Each year your account remains open and in good standing, you get 6,000 bonus points on your card member anniversary. This is often enough to redeem for a short one-way flight.
Companion Pass Status: This status is designed for those who spend heavily on Southwest flight purchases. To earn it, you either need to accumulate 110,000 Tier Qualifying Points (through cash fare and credit card purchases, other than partner purchases) or complete at least 100 one-way Southwest Airlines segments (connecting flights count separately) in a calendar year.
Companion Pass status holders can bring a companion traveler on any Southwest flight at no additional fare charge. Taxes and security fees still apply.
There’s no limit to how many times this benefit can be used. You can travel with as many companions throughout the year you like. However, you can’t travel with more than one companion per flight.
No Foreign Transaction Fees: Keep earning your points outside the U.S. without paying a foreign transaction fee.
When compared to the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card, the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card would be more fitting for those who have more of an average credit score.
For those who fly often, there are no blackout dates and unlimited points that won't expire as long as your card account is open. And to re-state from before, you’ll be awarded with an extra 6,000 anniversary bonus points after the anniversary date each year which may or may not be seen as a benefit that could compensate for the annual fee for some people.
In conclusion, between the Southwest Plus and Southwest Premier, the only difference is the anniversary bonus amount and the annual fee. If you want to pay $30 to receive double the amount for an anniversary bonus, then by all means this card will seem more appealing to you.
Please tell us your experience with this card in the comment section below! Make sure to visit BankDealGuy to explore more credit card bonuses!
Alternative Credit Cards Options
If you aren't particularly a Southwest customer, then there are other alternatives to the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card. These are: the Barclaycard Arrival Plus®World Elite Mastercard®,Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
Lower Annual Fee Alternatives
The annual fee for Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® is not only lower, but also offers a sign-up bonus and rewards and do not have an airline or hotel restrictions.
The annual fee for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card is also lower and you can utilize the 1:1 transfer ratio by moving points to another Chase card through partnered airlines or hotels.
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card:
• Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
• 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
• Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
The annual fee for the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is yet again lower but has a flat 2% rate rewards rate concerning all purchases. Your rewards are applied as a statement credit on travel expenses.
With the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Card:
• Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
• Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
• Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
• Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®
• Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
• Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
• No foreign transaction fees
• $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that
• Chase Bank Bonuses. Chase usually offers the most sign-up bonuses out of all the big banks. Read up and enjoy several promotions for their Checking, Savings and Business accounts.
• HSBC Bank Bonuses. HSBC has some big value offers available for their Checking accounts. Some require hefty deposits to qualify. They also have an online Savings account offering a very competitive rate.
• Huntington Bank Bonuses. Huntington has Consumer Checking and Business Checking accounts available throughout the year.
• Discover Bank Bonuses. As an online bank, Discover offers high and competitive rates on their Savings, CD, and Money Market accounts. Enjoy excellent customer service nationwide.
• TD Bank Bonuses. TD Bank consistently offers great Checking account bonuses all year long. Savings account offers are less frequently available.
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Accelerated Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Fast Track Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Community Business Checking||$200 Cash||Review|