If you’re a frequent customer of Delta, this card will offer you the benefit of earning 2X miles on every eligible dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta and 1X mile for every eligible dollar spent on other purchases. Although there is an annual fee of $95, an introductory fee of $0 is offered for the first year!
This annual fee is very well offset if you’re a frequent flyer as you can check your first bag free on Delta flights – that’s a savings of up to $240 per round trip for a family of four. On top of that, you’ll settle into your seat sooner with Priority Boarding.
If you want to find out more about what unique features this card has to offer, continue reading below.
Table of Contents
Amex Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Summary
The Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express offers 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
You'll earn 2X miles for every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta; 1X mile for every eligible dollar you spend on purchases.
There is a $95 annual fee, however, there is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year. Now, you'll get a savings of up to $240 per round trip for a family of four by being able to check your first bag free on Delta flights.
Amex Gold Delta SkyMiles
After meeting the spending requirement, you can earn the introductory welcome offer. There are many ways to go about this. Down below are several options to acquiring these miles.
• Plastiq - Using Plastiq allows you to pay for your personal expenses such as rent, tuition, mortgage, auto lease etc. Although they charge a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card, this will contribute to the card bonus that you will receive. There is also a referral program that allows you to earn "Free-Free Dollars" that goes towards processing fees as well.
• Funding Checking Accounts - When it comes to funding a checking account, opening your initial deposit with a credit card is the usual way to go about it. However, if you want to have more opportunities, you should open a checking account that offers a sign-up bonus. This allows you to work towards bonuses from not one but two different sources instead. Banks like Chase, Huntington Bank, TD Bank and BBVA offers credit card funding, and for your opening deposit, you can often fund anywhere from $50-$1000 with a credit card, depending on what bank offers it.
• Gift Card Purchases With Using a Credit Card - Another way to acquire the bonus is using your credit card to purchase gift cards. Buying a a gift card or an individual merchant card typically do not require a purchase fee and are used towards leisure, so gift cards are ideal. However, gift cards such as a Visa or American Express do incur purchase fees because they can be spent anywhere, but gift cards that are specifically for a certain online shopping site such as Amazon or eBay don't.
As for a Citi Credit Card, you should call customer service and ask them to lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before making any purchases because Citi tends to read gift card purchases as a Cash Advance.
Ideally, you should do this with any card just to be safe. Lastly, there is such thing as a discounted gift card which can be purchased on Raise or eBay. If you use a credit card often for everyday purchases, it can build your credit score that will contribute towards paying for things such as bills and taxes.
With your Gold Delta SkyMiles, earn 2 SkyMiles for every $1 spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta. This includes airfare, in-flight purchases, lounge passes, and other incidentals, with no caps or restrictions. All other purchases earn 1 SkyMile per $1 spent.
Redeem your miles for Delta airfare. Redemptions start at 10,000 SkyMiles for some domestic economy one-ways, and 12,500 SkyMiles for a broader range of domestic flights with more flexible travel dates. However, Delta’s redemption tables vary.
Specific travel dates and times may require more SkyMiles. For example, peak-season weekend flights will require more as opposed to off-season weekday flights to popular vacation destinations.
If you choose to travel with Delta airlines, you can redeem your SkyMiles towards them or towards Delta’s many other partnered airlines. Down below is a convenient list of all the partnered airlines.
SkyMiles SkyTeam & Non-Alliance Partners Include:
- Aerolineas Argentinas
- Air Europa
- Air France
- Air Tahiti nui
- China Airlines
- China Eastern
- China Southern
- Czech Airlines
- Garuda Indonesia
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Jet Airways
- Kenya Airways
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- Korean Air
- Mandarin Airlines
- Middle East Airlines
- Saudia Airlines
- Shanghai Airlines
- Tarom Airlines
- Vietnam Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Virgin Australia
Points are generally worth from $0.005 to $0.02 when redeemed, but Delta SkyMiles are worth $0.012. You can redeem your SkyMiles for merchandise, gift cards, and experiences, at the Delta SkyMiles MarketPlace.
Though minimum redemptions are lower for these options (about 2,000 miles), your miles will be worth less than $0.01 apiece when redeemed at the MarketPlace.
Amex Gold Delta SkyMiles Cardholder Benefits
The Gold Delta SkyMiles card comes with a slew of Delta-specific travel benefits:
- A 20% discount on all in-flight purchases
- Discounted Delta Sky Club (airport lounge) passes for the cardholder and one companion on every trip ($29 versus $59 regular price)
- One free checked bag for the cardholder ($60 value, round-trip)
The Gold Delta SkyMiles card comes with other travel benefits not specific to Delta:
- 24/7 global assistance for travelers more than 100 miles from home
- 24/7 roadside assistance for all travelers
- Car rental insurance (loss and damage) when the rental is charged to your SkyMiles card
- Travel accident (death and dismemberment) insurance
With the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, you will be able to earn a great welcome offer without worry about an annual fee for the first year of your account opening! From all the benefits that Delta has to offer, this card would make traveling more enjoyable, so, if you’re a frequent flyer with Delta, this card may just be the ideal card for you!
Please provide feedback in the comment section below by telling us your thoughts and experience with this card.
If you’re interested in cards that are good for dining out, check out our Best Credit Cards For Restaurant Purchases page to see what cards are best! For more Amex offers, see our list of the Best American Express Credit Card Promotions or an extensive list of the latest credit card deals.
Learn more about this card and its features here.
Alternative Credit Cards Options
If you aren’t necessarily a customer of Delta Airlines, then here are some other cards you may consider looking into that also have good bonus offers and exclusive benefits but with more flexibility. These include the Barclaycard Arrival Plus®World Elite Mastercard®, Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®!
You'll earn 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide; 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases. And when you redeem your points for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards, you'll get 25% more value!
Learn More About This Card
The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card offers a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening (equal to $500 in travel). Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018.
You're able to earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture.
This card does come with a $95 annual fee, however, there is a $0 intro annual fee for the first year. Enjoy no foreign transaction fees and receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®.
• Chase Bank Bonuses. Chase usually offers the most sign-up bonuses out of all the big banks. Read up and enjoy several promotions for their Checking, Savings and Business accounts.
• HSBC Bank Bonuses. HSBC has some big value offers available for their Checking accounts. Some require hefty deposits to qualify. They also have an online Savings account offering a very competitive rate.
• Huntington Bank Bonuses. Huntington has Consumer Checking and Business Checking accounts available throughout the year.
• Discover Bank Bonuses. As an online bank, Discover offers high and competitive rates on their Savings, CD, and Money Market accounts. Enjoy excellent customer service nationwide.
• TD Bank Bonuses. TD Bank consistently offers great Checking account bonuses all year long. Savings account offers are less frequently available.
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||$1,000 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$2,000 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Accelerated Business Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Fast Track Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Community Business Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$700 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|CIT Bank Savings Builder||$200 Cash||Review|