With the Aeromexico Visa Secured Card, you can enjoy two different bonus offers: one is a complimentary companion certificate after your card has been approved, and the other is earning up to 3,500 bonus miles (5,600 Premier Points) upon making your first purchase.
The noteworthy trait about this partnered airline card is that it is recommended for customers who need to build credit in general, hence the word secured.
Once your credit is decently built, you can look into other Aeromexico cards such as Aeromexico Visa Card or Aeromexico Visa Signature Card.
Another plus is that you don’t even have to be necessarily an Aeromexico customer in order to receive the benefits offered by this card. Since this card is used to slowly build credit, you can earn 2X Aeromexico miles per $1 spent on groceries and at gas stations, and 1X Aeromexico miles per $1 spent on everything else.
However, if you do fly with Aeromexico, you can receive a $99 companion certificate every year when you renew your card membership and one free checked bag on Aeromexico flights.
If you are interested in finding more about this card, continue reading below.
Table of Contents
Comparison of Aeromexico Visa Cards
|Card Name||Bonus Offer||Benefits||Annual Fee|
|Aeromexico Visa Card||welcome offer of 10,000 bonus miles + companion certificate||
||$45 (covered for 5 years)|
|Aeromexico Visa Secured Card||welcome offer of 3,500 bonus miles + companion certificate||
|Aeromexico Visa Signature Card||welcome offer of 15,000 bonus miles + companion certificate||
||$80 (covered for 2 years)|
Aeromexico Visa Secured Card Summary
With the Aeromexico Visa Secured Card:
- Receive a Welcome Bonus of 35,000 miles after first card use
- Ccomplimentary companion certificate upon card approval
- $99 companion certificate when you renew your membership every year
- One free checked bag on Aeromexico flights
- Earn 2X Aeromexico miles per $1 spent on groceries and at gas stations
- Earn 1X Aeromexico mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
- $25 Annual Fee
- Has foreign transaction fees of 2% in USD, 3% in foreign currencies
Aeromexico Visa Secured – 3,500 Bonus Miles
After making your first purchase within a year of opening your account, you can earn 3,500 bonus miles and a complimentary companion certificate. When you earn miles on your Aeromexico Visa Secured card, rewards appear in the Premier Points loyalty program. Each mile is equal to 1.6 Premier Points, and the bonus is actually for 5,600 in Premier Points.
There are many ways to go about this. Down below are several options to acquiring these miles.
• Plastiq - Using Plastiq allows you to pay for your personal expenses such as rent, tuition, mortgage, auto lease etc. Although they charge a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card, this will contribute to the card bonus that you will receive. There is also a referral program that allows you to earn "Free-Free Dollars" that goes towards processing fees as well.
• Funding Checking Accounts - When it comes to funding a checking account, opening your initial deposit with a credit card is the usual way to go about it. However, if you want to have more opportunities, you should open a checking account that offers a sign-up bonus. This allows you to work towards bonuses from not one but two different sources instead. Banks like Chase, Huntington Bank, TD Bank and BBVA offers credit card funding, and for your opening deposit, you can often fund anywhere from $50-$1000 with a credit card, depending on what bank offers it.
• Gift Card Purchases With Using a Credit Card - Another way to acquire the bonus is using your credit card to purchase gift cards. Buying a a gift card or an individual merchant card typically do not require a purchase fee and are used towards leisure, so gift cards are ideal. However, gift cards such as a Visa or American Express do incur purchase fees because they can be spent anywhere, but gift cards that are specifically for a certain online shopping site such as Amazon or eBay don't.
As for a Citi Credit Card, you should call customer service and ask them to lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before making any purchases because Citi tends to read gift card purchases as a Cash Advance.
Ideally, you should do this with any card just to be safe. Lastly, there is such thing as a discounted gift card which can be purchased on Raise or eBay. If you use a credit card often for everyday purchases, it can build your credit score that will contribute towards paying for things such as bills and taxes.
Earning Aeromexico Miles
Similar to other airline-branded cards, your miles’ worth depends on how you use them. Generally, each Aeromexico Premier Point is worth around $0.015.
Redeeming Aeromexico Miles
You can redeem your Aeromexico miles for air travel (with Aeromexico or partner airlines), hotel stays, car rentals, and other various activities.
Of course, since Aeromexico is an airline, you should ideally redeem your miles for flights with Aeromexico or its partnered airlines. Since Aeromexico is partnered with SkyTeam Member airlines, consider the convenient list down below for all other eligible airlines.
SkyTeam Member Airlines
- Aerolineas Argentinas
- Air Europa
- Air France
- China Airlines
- China Eastern
- Czech Airlines
- Garuda Indonesia
- Kenya Airways
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- Korean Air
- MEA (Middle East Airlines)
- Vietnam Airlines
- Xiamen Air
Aeromexico Visa Secured Cardholder Benefits
The Aeromexico Visa Secured Card has several benefits for a credit building card. Some of these include:
Security Deposit & Credit Limit: Aeromexico offers rewards program and it requires a security deposit, which puts your card on a credit limit. The credit limit can range between $300 to $5,000, depending on how much you put into it.
Free Checked Bag: Aeromexico offers one free checked bag (under 50 pounds) when you fly with them or connecting flights. To qualify for this, present your Aeromexico card at check-in.
Annual Companion Certificate: After paying your annual fee, you will receive a $99 value companion ticket for any guest that travels with you. Although there are fees, this reward can cover the $25 annual fee.
Upgrade to an Unsecured Card: If you are a consistent payer of your Aeromexico Visa Secured card for at least 12 months, you can qualify to upgrade to an unsecured card. You must call U.S bank in order to request the change.
To restate, if you are looking for a nice airline co-branded card because you like traveling but have low or average credit, then the Aeromexico Visa Secured Card might just be the card for you. Since customers don’t have to necessarily fly with Aeromexico to use it, anyone can enjoy the many benefits this card has to offer.
You can constantly earn Aeromexico Miles up to 3,500 while building your credit for a small annual fee of $25. This card is also beneficial for living expenses such as groceries or gas while being an average travel rewards card for those with average credit.
Plus, you can bring along a companion when you travel with Aeromexico or its partnered airlines, and earn another companion certificate when you renew your card!
Overall, if you are someone who seldom travels because of having low credit, then this card will be a good startup to improve your credit score.
If you enjoyed this reading this review, then please provide feedback in the comment section below by telling us your thoughts and experience with this card. Make sure to visit BankDealGuy to explore more credit card bonuses. If you’re looking to further pinpoint the best card for you, see our post on the Best Credit Card Categories!
Alternative Credit Cards Options
Not interested in a co-branded airline card that helps you build credit? Then consider these alternatives that can also do the job. These include: Capital One Secured Mastercard and Capital One Platinum Credit Card.
With the Capital One® Secured Mastercard®:
• No annual fee, and all the credit building benefits with responsible card use
• Unlike a prepaid card, it builds credit when used responsibly, with regular reporting to the 3 major credit bureaus
• You will get an initial $200 credit line after making a security deposit of $49, $99, or $200, determined based on your creditworthiness
• Get access to a higher credit line after making your first 5 monthly payments on time with no additional deposit needed
• Easily manage your account 24/7 with online access, by phone or using our mobile app
• It's a credit card accepted at millions of locations worldwide
With the Capital One® Platinum Credit Card:
• Pay no annual fee
• Get access to a higher credit line after making your first 5 monthly payments on time
• Fraud coverage if your card is lost or stolen
• Use online banking to access your account, even from your smartphone, with our mobile app
• Pay by check, online or at a local branch, all with no fee - and pick the monthly due date that works best for you
• Get access to your account 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
• Help strengthen your credit for the future with responsible card use
• Chase Bank Bonuses. Chase usually offers the most sign-up bonuses out of all the big banks. Read up and enjoy several promotions for their Checking, Savings and Business accounts.
• HSBC Bank Bonuses. HSBC has some big value offers available for their Checking accounts. Some require hefty deposits to qualify. They also have an online Savings account offering a very competitive rate.
• Huntington Bank Bonuses. Huntington has Consumer Checking and Business Checking accounts available throughout the year.
• Discover Bank Bonuses. As an online bank, Discover offers high and competitive rates on their Savings, CD, and Money Market accounts. Enjoy excellent customer service nationwide.
• TD Bank Bonuses. TD Bank consistently offers great Checking account bonuses all year long. Savings account offers are less frequently available.
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||60,000 Points||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Accelerated Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Fast Track Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Community Business Checking||$200 Cash||Review|