With the Citi Premier®, you can earn 60,000 bonus ThankYou Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. We value these 60,000 ThankYou Points by using Citi’s transfer partners to be worth around $1,020 in value (1.7 cents per point).
You’ll also earn:
- 3X Points at Restaurants
- 3X Points at Supermarkets
- 3X Points at Gas Stations
- 3X Points on Air Travel and Hotels
- 1X Points on All Other Purchases
For those who do not mind redeeming points through the ThankYou rewards program, this card might just be a good fit for you. To know more about what this card has to offer, please continue to read for more information.
*Citi also has great bonuses for their Checking/Savings accounts.
Table of Contents
Citi Premier Card Summary
The Citi Premier® Card offers 60,000 Bonus Points after making $4,000 in purchases with your card within the first 3 months of account opening.
• NEW! 3X Points at Restaurants
• NEW! 3X Points at Supermarkets
• 3X Points at Gas Stations
• 3X Points on Air Travel and Hotels
• 1X Points on All Other Purchases
You'll be able to enjoy $100 off a single hotel stay of $500 or more, excluding taxes and fees, through thankyou.com, once per calendar year.
This card comes with a $95 annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.
|Bonus Available||Earn 60,000 bonus points after you make at least $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.|
|Ongoing Rewards/Benefits||3X Points at Restaurants
3X Points at Supermarkets
3X Points at Gas Stations
3X Points on Air Travel and Hotels
1X Points on All Other Purchases
|Foreign Transaction Fees||No|
|Airport Lounge Access||N/A|
- Bonus points
- No foreign transaction fees
- Has an annual fee
- Excellent credit needed
- Complicated rewards structure
- Weak transfer partners
Citi Premier Card Bonus
After hitting the $4,000 threshold in the first 3 months, you can earn 60,000 bonus Citi ThankYou points. There are many ways to go about this. Down below are several options to acquiring these points.
• Plastiq - Using Plastiq allows you to pay for your personal expenses such as rent, tuition, mortgage, auto lease etc. Although they charge a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card, this will contribute to the card bonus that you will receive. There is also a referral program that allows you to earn "Free-Free Dollars" that goes towards processing fees as well.
• Funding Checking Accounts - When it comes to funding a checking account, opening your initial deposit with a credit card is the usual way to go about it. However, if you want to have more opportunities, you should open a checking account that offers a sign-up bonus. This allows you to work towards bonuses from not one but two different sources instead. Banks like Chase, Huntington Bank, TD Bank and BBVA offers credit card funding, and for your opening deposit, you can often fund anywhere from $50-$1000 with a credit card, depending on what bank offers it.
• Gift Card Purchases With Using a Credit Card - Another way to acquire the bonus is using your credit card to purchase gift cards. Buying a a gift card or an individual merchant card typically do not require a purchase fee and are used towards leisure, so gift cards are ideal. However, gift cards such as a Visa or American Express do incur purchase fees because they can be spent anywhere, but gift cards that are specifically for a certain online shopping site such as Amazon or eBay don't.
As for a Citi Credit Card, you should call customer service and ask them to lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before making any purchases because Citi tends to read gift card purchases as a Cash Advance.
Ideally, you should do this with any card just to be safe. Lastly, there is such thing as a discounted gift card which can be purchased on Raise or eBay. If you use a credit card often for everyday purchases, it can build your credit score that will contribute towards paying for things such as bills and taxes.
What Are ThankYou Points Worth?
Similar to other point-based credit cards, the value of your rewards can vary greatly. The value you will get will depend on how you use them. On average, we value each ThankYou point to be around $0.o17. The average is based on al the different ways you can transfer points to ThankYou partners. The value you receive from it will depend on your booking details such as, travel time, destination, etc.
Redeem your points towards travel booked via the Travel Center, statement credits, gift cards or online purchases at Amazon or Best Buy. Transfer your points to participating airline loyalty programs (more on that below).
Redeeming ThankYou Points
Redeem your ThankYou points on gift cards, merchandise, travel, cash and more. You can also use your points on Amazon.com, BestBuy.com and LiveNation.com.
You’ll get the most value out of your points if you stick to travel purchases, such as airfare or hotel reservations, or gift cards.
If you don’t have enough ThankYou points, you can also use the Points+Cash option when redeeming for airfare tickets. This way, you can split and pay any amount of your ticket with cash or points.
Citi Premier Cardholder Benefits
Get travel and purchase protection benefits with the Citi Premier®. In addition, enjoy:
World Elite Mastercard Benefits: As a World Elite Mastercard, the Citi Premier® comes with some travel-related perks. Those include access to the Luxury Hotels & Resorts portfolio and on-property perks, like free daily breakfast, discounts on certain airfares with carriers, like Cathay Pacific, Etihad, Lufthansa and Qatar Airways, shipboard credits with various cruise lines, and more.
Transfer Points: Transfer your ThankYou points to any of Citi’s travel partners. These include:
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue
- Avianca LifeMiles
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- Etihad Guest
- EVA Air Infinity MileageLands
- Garuda Indonesia Miles
- Jet Airways JetPrivilege
- JetBlue TrueBlue
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Thai Royal Orchid Plus
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Although many of these don’t primarily operate in the U.S., you can still get high value awards when booking through them. For example, you can get cheap Delta awards by booking through Virgin Atlantic, get some great deals on Star Alliance awards using Avianca LifeMiles, or pay less on ticket costs with JetBlue TrueBlue. There are many ways to maximize Citi’s transfer partners.
No Foreign Transaction Fee: Pay for your purchase with your ThankYou Premier Card outside of the U.S. without being charged a foreign transaction fee.
If you travel frequently, then the Citi Premier® is a good card option. It’ll allow you to earn 3x points spent on travel including gas.
- Annual fee. This card doesn’t offer strong perks, so the $95 annual fee is harder to justify.
- Complicated rewards structure. To get the most out of your points, you will need to transfer your points or do some major thinking.
- Weak transfer partners. JetBlue is the only domestic carrier you can transfer to. Also, this transfer will only offer you 800 TrueBlue points to 1,000 ThankYou points, which isn’t great.
If you don’t travel frequently, then this card may not be the best for you, but it is still good to know about.
Please provide feedback in the comment section below by telling us your thoughts and experience with this card. Make sure to visit BankDealGuy to explore more credit card bonuses.
Alternative Credit Cards Options
If you are looking for more flexibility and don’t travel to Latin American countries as much, there are alternative travel rewards cards to consider that aren’t necessarily partnered with certain airlines or hotels. Some of the cards include the American Express® Gold Card, Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred Card offers 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®!
You'll earn 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases. And when you redeem your points for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards, you'll get 25% more value!
This card carries a $95 annual fee.
The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card offers 100,000 bonus miles when you spend $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
You're able to earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day.
This card does come with a $95 annual fee. Enjoy no foreign transaction fees and receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®.
The American Express® Gold Card offers 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
You'll have the opportunity to earn 4X Membership Rewards® points when you dine at restaurants worldwide & at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X); 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
This card has an annual fee of $250 with no foreign transaction fees. Some benefits including earning up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. In addition, a $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
• Chase Bank Bonuses. Chase usually offers the most sign-up bonuses out of all the big banks. Read up and enjoy several promotions for their Checking, Savings and Business accounts.
• HSBC Bank Bonuses. HSBC has some big value offers available for their Checking accounts. Some require hefty deposits to qualify. They also have an online Savings account offering a very competitive rate.
• Huntington Bank Bonuses. Huntington has Consumer Checking and Business Checking accounts available throughout the year.
• Discover Bank Bonuses. As an online bank, Discover offers high and competitive rates on their Savings, CD, and Money Market accounts. Enjoy excellent customer service nationwide.
• TD Bank Bonuses. TD Bank consistently offers great Checking account bonuses all year long. Savings account offers are less frequently available.
|Chase Business Checking Account||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$2,000 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SavingsSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$450 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||Up To $600||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||Up To $240||Review|
|Huntington 25 Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Axos Bank Basic Business Checking||$100 Cash||Review|
|Aspiration Spend & Save||$100 Cash||Review|