With the Citi ThankYou PremierSM Card, you can earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. Also you get 3X points back on travel and gas station purchases.
For those who do not mind redeeming points through the ThankYou rewards program, this card might just be a good fit for you. To know more about what this card has to offer, please continue to read for more information.
Table of Contents
Citi ThankYou Premier Card Summary
With the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card:
• Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
• Earn 3X Points on Travel, Including Gas Stations
• Earn 2X Points on Dining Out & Entertainment
• Earn 1X Points on All Other Purchases
• 50,000 Points are redeemable for $625 in airfare on any airline, anytime with no blackout dates when booked through the ThankYou® Travel Center, or $500 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com
• No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
• Points Transfer allows you to transfer points to participating airline loyalty programs
• No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases*
Citi ThankYou Premier Card – 50k ThankYou Points
After hitting the $4,000 threshold in the first 3 months, you can earn 50,000 bonus Citi ThankYou points. There are many ways to go about this. Down below are several options to acquiring these points.
• Plastiq - Using Plastiq allows you to pay for your personal expenses such as rent, tuition, mortgage, auto lease etc. Although they charge a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card, this will contribute to the card bonus that you will receive. There is also a referral program that allows you to earn "Free-Free Dollars" that goes towards processing fees as well.
• Funding Checking Accounts - When it comes to funding a checking account, opening your initial deposit with a credit card is the usual way to go about it. However, if you want to have more opportunities, you should open a checking account that offers a sign-up bonus. This allows you to work towards bonuses from not one but two different sources instead. Banks like Chase, Huntington Bank, TD Bank and BBVA offers credit card funding, and for your opening deposit, you can often fund anywhere from $50-$1000 with a credit card, depending on what bank offers it.
• Gift Card Purchases With Using a Credit Card - Another way to acquire the bonus is using your credit card to purchase gift cards. Buying a a gift card or an individual merchant card typically do not require a purchase fee and are used towards leisure, so gift cards are ideal. However, gift cards such as a Visa or American Express do incur purchase fees because they can be spent anywhere, but gift cards that are specifically for a certain online shopping site such as Amazon or eBay don't.
As for a Citi Credit Card, you should call customer service and ask them to lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before making any purchases because Citi tends to read gift card purchases as a Cash Advance.
Ideally, you should do this with any card just to be safe. Lastly, there is such thing as a discounted gift card which can be purchased on Raise or eBay. If you use a credit card often for everyday purchases, it can build your credit score that will contribute towards paying for things such as bills and taxes.
Earning ThankYou Points
There is no limit to the amount of points you can earn and your points don’t expire with this card.
Redeeming ThankYou Points
Redeem your ThankYou points on gift cards, merchandise, travel, cash and more. You can also use your points on Amazon.com, BestBuy.com and LiveNation.com. ThankYou points are worth 25% more when redeemed for airfare through the ThankYou Travel Center, as compared to gift card redemptions. This way, your points can be redeemed at a fixed rate of 1.25 center per point.
You’ll get the most value out of your points if you stick to travel purchases, such as airfare or hotel reservations, or gift cards.
If you don’t have enough ThankYou points, you can also use the Points+Cash option when redeeming for airfare tickets. This way, you can split and pay any amount of your ticket with cash or points.
Citi ThankYou Cardholder Benefits
Get travel and purchase protection benefits with the Citi ThankYou PremierSM Card. In addition, enjoy:
World Elite Mastercard Benefits: As a World Elite Mastercard, the Citi ThankYou Premier comes with some travel-related perks. Those include access to the Luxury Hotels & Resorts portfolio and on-property perks, like free daily breakfast, discounts on certain airfares with carriers, like Cathay Pacific, Etihad, Lufthansa and Qatar Airways, shipboard credits with various cruise lines, and more.
Transfer Points: Transfer your ThankYou points to any of Citi’s travel partners. These include:
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue
- Avianca LifeMiles
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- Etihad Guest
- EVA Air Infinity MileageLands
- Garuda Indonesia Miles
- Jet Airways JetPrivilege
- JetBlue TrueBlue
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Thai Royal Orchid Plus
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Although many of these don’t primarily operate in the U.S., you can still get high value awards when booking through them. For example, you can get cheap Delta awards by booking through Virgin Atlantic, get some great deals on Star Alliance awards using Avianca LifeMiles, or pay less on ticket costs with JetBlue TrueBlue. There are many ways to maximize Citi’s transfer partners.
No Foreign Transaction Fee: Pay for your purchase with your ThankYou Premier Card outside of the U.S. without being charged a foreign transaction fee.
If you travel frequently, then the Citi ThankYou PremierSM Card is a good card option. It’ll allow you to earn 3x points spent on travel including gas. Additionally, you’ll be able to earn 2x points for dining and entertainment too. To offset the annual fee of $95, Citi waives the first 12 months.
One of the more greater features of this card would be being able to transfer your Citi ThankYou points. This allows you to have more flexibility with rewards on the Citi ThankYou Premier Card while traveling, and these points are worth 25% more when redeemed for airfare through the ThankYou Travel Center.
If you don’t travel frequently, then this card may not be the best for you, but it is still good to know about.
Please provide feedback in the comment section below by telling us your thoughts and experience with this card. Make sure to visit BankDealGuy to explore more credit card bonuses.
Alternative Credit Cards Options
If you are looking for more flexibility and don’t travel to Latin American countries as much, there are alternative travel rewards cards to consider that aren’t necessarily partnered with certain airlines or hotels. Some of the cards include the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® , Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card offers a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening (equal to $500 in travel). Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018.
You're able to earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture.
This card does come with a $95 annual fee, however, there is a $0 intro annual fee for the first year. Enjoy no foreign transaction fees and receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®!
You'll earn 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide; 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases. And when you redeem your points for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards, you'll get 25% more value!
Learn More About This Card
• Chase Bank Bonuses. Chase usually offers the most sign-up bonuses out of all the big banks. Read up and enjoy several promotions for their Checking, Savings and Business accounts.
• HSBC Bank Bonuses. HSBC has some big value offers available for their Checking accounts. Some require hefty deposits to qualify. They also have an online Savings account offering a very competitive rate.
• Huntington Bank Bonuses. Huntington has Consumer Checking and Business Checking accounts available throughout the year.
• Discover Bank Bonuses. As an online bank, Discover offers high and competitive rates on their Savings, CD, and Money Market accounts. Enjoy excellent customer service nationwide.
• TD Bank Bonuses. TD Bank consistently offers great Checking account bonuses all year long. Savings account offers are less frequently available.
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$2,000 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Accelerated Business Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Fast Track Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Community Business Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$700 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|CIT Bank Savings Builder||$300 Cash||Review|
|BBVA Online Checking||$250 Cash||Review|