With so many types of reward programs being offered among credit cards, it can be hard to pick and choose which rewards you might prefer. There are, however, great cash back rewards offerings out there, some as high as 5%. But most of them are tricky and offer rotating categories in order to receive the 5% or higher rate.
For this particular post, we have provided you a list of the credit cards that will earn you 5% or more in cash back. The 5% spending for this Quarter is from October 1st – December 31st, 2018. You can do your store purchases until the last minute., but always do your online purchases by a day or two.
You can now activate/enroll your 5% credit cards for the fourth quarter of 2018 on Chase Freedom, Discover IT, Citi Dividend, and US Bank Cash+. You will find the activation link for each card with my recommendations to help increase spend on these categories.
Table of Contents
Chase Freedom – Wholesale Clubs, Department Stores & Chase Pay
With the Chase Freedom® Card:
• Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
• Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
• Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
• 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 17.24-25.99%.
• 3% intro balance transfer fee when you transfer a balance during the first 60 days your account is open, with a minimum of $5.
• No annual fee
• Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
• Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit JourneySM
Earn 5% back for up to $1,500 maximum at gas stations, Wholesale Clubs, Department Stores & Chase Pay during the months of October, November, December. Activation Link
- Chase Pay – Use Chase Pay at select merchants online and in-store. Simply link Chase Pay & Samsung Pay together so you can use Samsung Pay everywhere.
- Department Stores – Examples include Sears, Macy’s, Kohl’s, Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, and Neiman Marcus. However, discount stores or super-centers such as Target, Costco, BJ’s, or Sam’s Club are NOT included.
- Wholesale Clubs – Examples are Costco, Sam’s Club, BJ’s
If you have access to Samsung Pay, I imagine this is easy to max out via Chase Pay for regular purchases or by purchasing gift cards at Wholesale Clubs.
Tip: Click this link (login required) to check how far you are along the $1,500.
Discover – Amazon.com & Wholesaleclubs
Probably the easiest method to max out via Amazon spending, however there are cards earn 5% cash back at Amazon year round. Activation Link
- Amazon.com purchases include those made through the Amazon.com checkout, including digital downloads, Amazon.com gift cards, Amazon Fresh orders, Amazon Local Deals, Amazon Prime subscriptions and items sold by third party merchants through Amazon.com’s marketplace.
- Wholesale Clubs includes include Costco, Sam’s Club, BJ’s
Tip: Login, then click this link to see you how far along the $1,500 you are.
Don’t have the card, use our Discover It Referral Link to earn $50 bonus after first purchase.
Citi Dividend – Best Buy & Department Stores
Instead of quarterly maximum spending, Citi lets you have a $6,000 annual cap. Hence, you can get 5% back on up to $6,000 in this quarter, , or you can use part up each quarter. Activation Link.
- Department stores.
- Best buy stores can be useful for regular purchases and also for resellers, they also sell a number of third party gift cards.
Cash+ – Select your Categories
U.S. Bank Cash+ offers 5% cash back in two categories, up to $2,000 combined total per quarter. I recommend to prepaying your gas and electric to get the most out of this card. Activation Link.
- Home utilites
- Select clothing stores
- Cell phones
- Electronic Stores
- Car rentals
- Fast food
- Ground Transportation
- Sporting goods
- Department Stores
- Furniture Stores
- Movie theaters
Tip: Login here, then scroll down and click on the Red “View Your Cash+ History” button.
With the SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express:
• Special offer: save on interest with a 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months; after that your APR will be a variable rate, currently 14.49% - 21.49%
• No annual fee
• Reinvest in your business with automatic cash back in the form of a monthly statement credit. Plus take control by choosing the 3% category that best fits your business
• Earn 5% cash back on the first $50,000 spent at wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and U.S. office supply stores.
• Earn 3% cash back on the first $50,000 spent in the category of your choice from a list of eight and 1% cash back on other purchases
• With Expanded Buying Power you can spend beyond your credit limit* to make bigger purchases for your business plus earn cash back on those purchases too
• *The amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to us, and other factors
• Terms apply
• See Rates & Fees
|Credit Card||Rewards for 5%+ Cash Back||Requirement||Annual Fee||Review|
|Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express||6% cash back at US supermarkets||Up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%)||$95||Review|
|Target REDcard||5% cash back (instant discount)||Purchases at Target or Target.com||$0||Review|
|U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card||5% cash back on two categories you choose||First $2,000 in combined purchases each quarter. |
You have to choose these categories every quarter and it’s limited to the first $2,000 in purchases per quarter (maximum of $100 cash back)
|Vantage West Connect Rewards Visa Signature Card||5X Reward Points||capped at $1,500 in qualifying purchases per quarter.||$0||Review|
|Fort Knox Credit Union VISA® Platinum Card||5% cash back on all gas purchases||None||$0||Review|
|Discover It Cash Credit Card||Rotating 5% cash back categories||Required to sign up for these categories each quarter + limited to earning 5% back on the first $1,500 spend in participating categories each quarter (maximum of $75 cash back)||$0||Review|
|Chase Freedom® credit card||Rotating 5% cash back categories||Required to sign up for these categories every quarter and earn 5% on the first $1,500 of purchases per quarter in participating categories||$0||Review|
|Citi Dividend Card||Rotating 5% cash back categories||Limit of $6,000 per year (max of $300 in cash back per year)||$0||Review|
|Chase Ink Business CashSM credit card||5% cash back on office purchases||First $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on cellular phone, landline, internet and cable TV services each account anniversary year||$0||Review|
|Nusenda Credit Union Visa® Cash Platinum Rewards Credit Card||Rotating 5% cash back categories||None||$0||Review|
|Chase Ink Bold® business card||5X the points||$50,000 Spend Limit||$0 first year, then $95 thereafter.||Review|
|SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card||5% cash back on U.S based office supply stores and on wireless telephone services purchases||None||$0||Review|
|Sallie Mae Rewards Card||Up to 5% cash back on eligible book and travel purchases through Upromise.com||None||$0||Review|
With the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express:
• Earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
• Earn 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
• Earn 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses & more.
• 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations. 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
• Over 1.6 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2018.
• Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 15.24% to 26.24%
• $95 annual fee.
• Terms Apply.
• See Rates & Fees
With the Chase Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card:
• This card offers a $500 bonus after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months.
• 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent at office supply stores, on internet, cable & phone services for every account anniversary year (combined purchases)
• 2% cash back on the first $25,000 spent at gas stations & restaurants for every account anniversary year (combined purchases); 1% on all other purchases with no limit
• Enjoy 0% introductory APR for 12 months on purchases
• This card has No Annual Fee
Let us know if we are missing any cards in the comments section. Keep in mind that you can earn at a higher rate by employing some basic manufactured spending strategies such as purchasing prepaid Visa, MasterCard or AmEx gift cards through cash back portal or special promotion.