The Business Platinum Card® from American Express has a fantastic welcome offer where new applicants can earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points. Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 in qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of card membership. In addition, earn an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within the same 3 months of card membership.
It comes with a $450 annual fee, so this card isn’t meant for everyone. However, business owners who travel often can benefit largely with this card. It gives up to 5X Membership Rewards points per dollar on certain travel expenses. Plus, it comes with complimentary Gold status with Hilton Honors and Starwood Preferred Guest along with many more perks.
If this interests you, continue to read below to find out more about how you can benefit from this card.
Table of Contents
Business Platinum Card from American Express Summary
With the The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN:
• Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
• Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
• Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
• Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
• 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
• Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
• Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
• Terms Apply
• See Rates & Fees
Earning Membership Rewards Points
The Amex Business Platinum Card earns 5X Membership Rewards points on flights and prepaid hotels when you book on the American Express Travel website.
In addition, most purchases earn 1 Membership Rewards point. For eligible purchases of $5,000 or more, enjoy 1.5X Membership Rewards points, up to 1 million additional points per year.
There is no limit to how much you can earn. Plus, points don’t expire as long as you have this card.
Redeeming Membership Rewards Points
Redeem your points for merchandise, transportation, travel, gift cards, and statement credits through the American Express Membership Rewards portal. Points are valued up to 1 cent apiece, but it can vary by redemption method. Statement credits have lower redemption values, while merchandise and transportation have higher values.
I recommend redeeming your points for airline travel for qualifying airlines. This is called “Pay With Points.” With this option, you get a 35% points bonus, payable as a rebate. For example, if you redeem 10,000 points for a flight, 3,500 points are returned back into your account. Unfortunately, you can receive this benefit with one airline, so choose the carrier you fly with most often. This benefit is capped at 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
Business Platinum Cardholder Benefits
The Amex Business Platinum Card comes with general travel benefits, such as complimentary car rental upgrades, complementary car rental insurance covering loss and damage. In addition, it comes with extended warranty and some general purchase protections. Some other notable benefits include:
- Airline Fee Credit: Get $200 annual airline fee credit with the airline of your choice. Offset incidental expenses like baggage fees and in-flight services. Note that the airline must be the same carrier you choose for your 35% points bonus.
- Complimentary Airport Lounge Access: Enjoy complimentary access to over 1,200 airport lounges in over 130 countries through the American Express Global Lounge Collection. You can also access partner lounges, such as Delta Sky Club and The Centurion Lounge.
- Complimentary WiFi: Enjoy free access at more than 1 million Gogo and Boingo WiFi hotspots worldwide including Gogo in-flight WiFi passes.
- Fine Hotels & Resorts Benefits: Enjoy many convenient benefits at 1,000 Fine Hotels & Resorts. These include 12pm check-in when available, a room upgrade upon arrival when available, daily breakfast for two people, complimentary WiFi, guaranteed 4pm late checkout, and special amenities unique to each property.
- Complementary Starwood Preferred Guest Gold Status: Get complementary SPG Gold Status with this card. Enjoy a 50% bonus on base Starpoint earnings, special welcome gifts at check-in, flexible check-out, and room upgrades when available.
- OPEN Savings Benefit: Choose from either 2 additional Membership Rewards points per $1 spent or 5% discounts on purchases with OPEN Savings partner merchants, such as FedEx and Hertz. A complete list of participating merchants is available at opensavings.com. The 5% discount option gives 5% credits directly to your billing statements for the month when the corresponding purchase was made.
- No Foreign Transaction Fee
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is a great choice for business owners who often travel either for business or personally. The fantastic welcome offer is a two-step earning process that shouldn’t take too much effort if you use your card for all your expenses or make those big purchases for your business. There’s tons of earning power with this card, scoring you up to 5X Membership Rewards points per $1 spent.
Additionally, you can possibly offset the high annual fee with the Global Lounge Collection. But, we’re going to be honest — most people don’t spend too much time in airport lounges. However, when they do get the chance, it’s definitely worth the time and money, especially in between long flights for business.
As a charge card, the Business Platinum requires that you repay your balance in full each month, with limited exceptions. Although it does not accumulate regular interest charges, cardholders who don’t pay in full for two consecutive statement cycles incur late charges and risk account closure.
Overall, this card is designed for business owners who travel frequently, and who spend at least $4,000 doing so. Make sure to read the fine print when considering this card and justify the benefits vs. the annual fee!
Provide feedback in the comment section below by telling us your thoughts and experience with this card. Make sure to visit BankDealGuy for more credit card bonuses!
Learn more about this card and its features here.