If you are a loyal Southwest and Chase customer, I have got the card that will satisfy the best of both worlds! Introducing the new Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card from Chase – this card will come will a range of benefits similar to what you would find on the award-winning Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card. However, with this card, you will receive a greater cardholder anniversary bonus as well as additional features.
Upon approval, new card members can earn 40,000 points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
In addition, for each card member anniversary, you can score an additional 7,500 points EACH YEAR!
Not only will you receive all the reward points above after the requirements are met, but you’ll also enjoy many generous features! Plus, cardholders earn 2X points per $1 spent on Southwest purchases and Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partner purchases, and more!
If you are a frequent flyer with Southwest Airlines and would like to be a part of a well trusted financial institution, then definitely keep reading to see what this card has to offer!
Table of Contents
Types of Southwest Rapid Rewards Cards
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Program has four different version of credit cards: Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card, Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card, Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card, and Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card.
Southwest Priority Card Summary
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card offers 40,000 points after sending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months in addition to 7,500 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary & get $75 Southwest® travel credit each year.
You'll earn 2x points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases & Rapid Rewards® hotel/car rental partner purchases; 1x point on all other purchases.
Some perks include receiving 4 Upgraded Boardings per year when available, savings of 20% back on in-flight drinks and WiFi, and more!
This card carries a $149 annual fee and no transaction fees.
Learn More About This Card Here
Southwest Priority Bonus
After hitting the spending threshold in the first 3 months of opening your account, you can earn the bonus points. There are many ways to go about this. Down below are several options to acquiring these points.
• Plastiq - Using Plastiq allows you to pay for your personal expenses such as rent, tuition, mortgage, auto lease etc. Although they charge a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card, this will contribute to the card bonus that you will receive. There is also a referral program that allows you to earn "Free-Free Dollars" that goes towards processing fees as well.
• Funding Checking Accounts - When it comes to funding a checking account, opening your initial deposit with a credit card is the usual way to go about it. However, if you want to have more opportunities, you should open a checking account that offers a sign-up bonus. This allows you to work towards bonuses from not one but two different sources instead. Banks like Chase, Huntington Bank, TD Bank and BBVA offers credit card funding, and for your opening deposit, you can often fund anywhere from $50-$1000 with a credit card, depending on what bank offers it.
• Gift Card Purchases With Using a Credit Card - Another way to acquire the bonus is using your credit card to purchase gift cards. Buying a a gift card or an individual merchant card typically do not require a purchase fee and are used towards leisure, so gift cards are ideal. However, gift cards such as a Visa or American Express do incur purchase fees because they can be spent anywhere, but gift cards that are specifically for a certain online shopping site such as Amazon or eBay don't.
As for a Citi Credit Card, you should call customer service and ask them to lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before making any purchases because Citi tends to read gift card purchases as a Cash Advance.
Ideally, you should do this with any card just to be safe. Lastly, there is such thing as a discounted gift card which can be purchased on Raise or eBay. If you use a credit card often for everyday purchases, it can build your credit score that will contribute towards paying for things such as bills and taxes.
Southwest Priority – Top Features
Transfarency is term coined by Southwest and their motto is “low fares, no hidden fees,” meaning that customers are treated honestly and fairly. Some perks of flying with Southwest are:
- First and second checked bags requires no fee (weight and size limits apply)
- No change fee (Fare differences may apply)
7,500 Rapid Rewards points are automatically added to your card if you renew every year as an anniversary bonus.
You can earn tier qualifying points (TQP) when booking a flight with Southwest Airlines® or through the use of the Rapid Rewards® Priority or Premier Credit Cards.
Earn 1,500 TQP for every $10,000 spent in a year, for up to 15,000 TQP per year. These points count toward the A-List benefits. A-List benefits include:
To qualify for A-List benefits, fly 25 qualifying one-way flights or earn TQPs in a calendar year.
- Priority boarding
- Priority check-in and security lane access
- 25% earning bonus on eligible flights
- Free same-standby (for an earlier flight)
- Dedicated A-List member phone line
Cardmembers can receive $75 in travel credit every year and this can be used towards Southwest flights.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Card has a no foreign transaction fees benefit when you make purchases abroad! This is convenient towards those who always have to travel outside the country for business trips.
Earning & Redeeming Points
The Southwest Priority card earns 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest purchases. This also includes Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partner purchases. Cardholders earn 1 point per $1 on everything else. Your points don’t expire as long as your account is open.
Redeem your Rapid Rewards points for flights, hotel stays, or car rentals. You can also redeem them for merchandise and gift cards.
I recommend maximizing your points value by redeeming your points for flights. Southwest points can only be redeemed for Southwest flights. Southwest award prices are based on the cash price of the ticket. There are no blackout dates as along as the ticket is available and no restrictions. Thus, you don’t have to worry about coordinating your travel dates around the holidays. However, award pricing isn’t defined. Southwest points are generally worth 1.5 cents each, but can go up to 1.75 cents each or higher.
Southwest Priority Cardholder Benefits
The Southwest Priority card comes with the standard shopping and travel protections. Some include purchase protection, extended warranty protection, lost luggage reimbursement, and auto rental collision damage waiver. Here are some more benefits you should know:
$75 Annual Southwest Travel Credit: Receive a $75 annual travel credit to use to book your flights, Rapid Rewards hotel stays, or car rentals each year. The credit applies to Southwest ticket purchases. However, upgraded boardings and in-flight purchases are ineligible.
7,500 Anniversary Points: Every year you’ll receive 7,500 bonus points. You can redeem those Rapid Rewards points for flights, at Rapid Rewards hotel partners, for gift cards, and other options. These bonus points are worth at least $75.
Tier Qualifying Points: Travelers can qualify for Southwest’s A-list status. This status gets you priority boarding, priority check-in and security lane access, access to a dedicated customer support line, free same-day standby flights, and a 25% earning bonus on flights. To get on the A-list, you need to fly 25 qualifying one-way flights or earn 35,000 Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs) in a calendar year.
With the Southwest Priority card, you’ll earn 1,500 TQPs for every $10,000 you spend, up to $100,000 per year. That means you can earn as many as 15,000 TQPs by using the card.
20% Cash Back on In-Flight Purchases: Get 20% cash back on in-flight Southwest purchases like drinks, meals, and entertainment.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Cardwas definitely engineered with the customer in mind. New card members can have a peace of mind knowing Southwest’s mission includes their dedication to the highest quality of customer service.
Plus, partnering with Chase allows them to keep their customers a top priority, which is definitely something to enjoy! However, please note that there is an annual fee of $149.
It’s also important to remember that the card is jam packed with benefits, definitely outweighing the fee itself. Considering you’ll be receiving an additional 7,500 bonus points per card member anniversary on top of the bonus offer, the annual fee isn’t much in comparison.
If you’re just looking for more credit card options in general, then definitely check out our best credit card deals master post!
Alternative Credit Cards Options
If you aren’t particularly a Southwest customer, then there are other alternatives to the Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card. These are: the Barclaycard Arrival Plus®World Elite Mastercard®, Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card.
Lower Annual Fee Alternatives
The annual fee for Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® is not only lower, but also offers a sign-up bonus and rewards and do not have an airline or hotel restrictions.
The annual fee for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card is also lower and you can utilize the 1:1 transfer ratio by moving points to another Chase card through partnered airlines or hotels.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®!
You'll earn 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide; 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases. And when you redeem your points for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards, you'll get 25% more value!
Learn More About This Card
The annual fee for the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is yet again lower but has a flat 2% rate rewards rate concerning all purchases. Your rewards are applied as a statement credit on travel expenses.
The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card offers a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening (equal to $500 in travel). Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018.
You're able to earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture.
This card does come with a $95 annual fee, however, there is a $0 intro annual fee for the first year. Enjoy no foreign transaction fees and receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®.
• Chase Bank Bonuses. Chase usually offers the most sign-up bonuses out of all the big banks. Read up and enjoy several promotions for their Checking, Savings and Business accounts.
• HSBC Bank Bonuses. HSBC has some big value offers available for their Checking accounts. Some require hefty deposits to qualify. They also have an online Savings account offering a very competitive rate.
• Huntington Bank Bonuses. Huntington has Consumer Checking and Business Checking accounts available throughout the year.
• Discover Bank Bonuses. As an online bank, Discover offers high and competitive rates on their Savings, CD, and Money Market accounts. Enjoy excellent customer service nationwide.
• TD Bank Bonuses. TD Bank consistently offers great Checking account bonuses all year long. Savings account offers are less frequently available.
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$750 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$350 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$1,250 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Accelerated Business Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Fast Track Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Community Business Checking||$200 Cash||Review|