At a glance, with the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card, you will earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. You can also receive 6,000 bonus points after your card member anniversary as well. If you want to find out more about what unique features this card has to offer continue reading below.
If you frequently fly with Southwest Airlines, then this card will benefit you more since it is travel-friendly and can cover more than the $99 annual fee.
Table of Contents
- 1 Types of Southwest Rapid Rewards Cards
- 2 Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Card Summary
- 3 Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business – 60K Points
- 4 Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business – Top Features
- 5 Earning Points
- 6 Redeeming Points
- 7 Southwest Premier Business Cardholder Benefits
- 8 Author’s Verdict
- 9 Alternative Credit Cards Options
Types of Southwest Rapid Rewards Cards
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Program has four different version of credit cards: Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card, Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card, Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card, and Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Card Summary
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Card offers 60,000 points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open in addition to 6,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary.
You'll earn 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases and Rapid Rewards® hotel and car rental partner purchases; 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
This card does carry a $99 annual fee and there are no foreign transaction fees.
Learn More About This Card Here
Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business – 60K Points
After hitting the $3,000 threshold in the first 3 months of opening your account, you can earn 60,000 bonus points. There are many ways to go about this. Down below are several options to acquiring these points.
• Plastiq - Using Plastiq allows you to pay for your personal expenses such as rent, tuition, mortgage, auto lease etc. Although they charge a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card, this will contribute to the card bonus that you will receive. There is also a referral program that allows you to earn "Free-Free Dollars" that goes towards processing fees as well.
• Funding Checking Accounts - When it comes to funding a checking account, opening your initial deposit with a credit card is the usual way to go about it. However, if you want to have more opportunities, you should open a checking account that offers a sign-up bonus. This allows you to work towards bonuses from not one but two different sources instead. Banks like Chase, Huntington Bank, TD Bank and BBVA offers credit card funding, and for your opening deposit, you can often fund anywhere from $50-$1000 with a credit card, depending on what bank offers it.
• Gift Card Purchases With Using a Credit Card - Another way to acquire the bonus is using your credit card to purchase gift cards. Buying a a gift card or an individual merchant card typically do not require a purchase fee and are used towards leisure, so gift cards are ideal. However, gift cards such as a Visa or American Express do incur purchase fees because they can be spent anywhere, but gift cards that are specifically for a certain online shopping site such as Amazon or eBay don't.
As for a Citi Credit Card, you should call customer service and ask them to lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before making any purchases because Citi tends to read gift card purchases as a Cash Advance.
Ideally, you should do this with any card just to be safe. Lastly, there is such thing as a discounted gift card which can be purchased on Raise or eBay. If you use a credit card often for everyday purchases, it can build your credit score that will contribute towards paying for things such as bills and taxes.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business – Top Features
Transfarency is term coined by Southwest and their motto is “low fares, no hidden fees,” meaning that customers are treated honestly and fairly. Some perks of flying with Southwest are:
- First and second checked bags requires no fee (weight and size limits apply)
- No change fee (Fare differences may apply)
60,000 Rapid Rewards points are automatically added to your card if you renew every year as an anniversary bonus.
You can earn tier qualifying points (TQP) when booking a flight with Southwest Airlines® or through the use of the Rapid Rewards® Priority or Premier Credit Cards.
Earn 1,500 TQP for every $10,000 spent in a year, for up to 15,000 TQP per year. These points count toward the A-List benefits. A-List benefits include:
To qualify for A-List benefits, fly 25 qualifying one-way flights or earn TQPs in a calendar year.
- Priority boarding
- Priority check-in and security lane access
- 25% earning bonus on eligible flights
- Free same-standby (for an earlier flight)
- Dedicated A-List member phone line
Employee cards can be added to your account free of charge! You may also set the spending limits for each card to better manage yours or your company’s budget.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Card has a no foreign transaction fees benefit when you make purchases abroad! This is convenient towards those who always have to travel outside the country for business trips.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card earns you 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest purchases and Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partner purchases. Southwest purchases include Southwest airfare, vacation packages, in-flight food and drinks, and others. These purchases must be made directly with Southwest and not through a third-party booking site. All other purchases earn 1 point per $1 spent.
Points are earned for every purchase with no cap, and your points don’t expire as long as your account is open.
Redeem your points for flights, gift cards, merchandise, car rentals, and more. I recommend redeeming your points is for airfare, with no blackout dates or seat restrictions. Redemptions typically start at 5,000 for one-way flights and 10,000 for round-trip flights, but they’re subject to change per flight.
Points are worth one cent apiece when you redeem for flights, but they can be worth up to two cents apiece, depending on time, date, and season of your flight, and other factors. Short-haul flights will generally offer better value. Southwest regularly adjusts the number of points required to redeem a particular flight, so YMMV.
Southwest Premier Business Cardholder Benefits
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card comes with standard travel and purchase protections. These include lost luggage reimbursement, baggage delay insurance, extended warranty protection, and purchase protection. Here are some other cardholder benefits it provides:
Card Member Anniversary Bonus: Each year your account remains open and in good standing, you get 6,000 bonus points on your card member anniversary. This is often enough to redeem for a short one-way flight.
Tier Qualifying Point Earnings: Earn 1,500 bonus Tier Qualifying Points (Rapid Rewards points not earned through credit card sign-up bonuses or partner purchases) for every $10,000 spent. You can earn up to 15,000 Tier Qualifying Points per year through this method. Then, earn an unlimited number of additional Tier Qualifying Points by paying cash for Southwest Airlines fares and making non-Southwest credit card purchases.
If you earn 35,000 Tier Qualifying Points in a calendar year, you earn A-List status. You’ll receive benefits, such as priority consideration on standby flights, priority boarding on all flights, and a 25% point-earning bonus. You can also earn A-List status by completing at least 25 one-way flights in a calendar year.
Companion Pass Status: Accumulate 110,000 Tier Qualifying Points (through cash fare and credit card purchases, other than partner purchases) or complete at least 100 one-way Southwest Airlines segments (connecting flights count separately) in a calendar year to earn this status.
Companion Pass status holders can bring a companion traveler on any Southwest flight at no additional fare charge. Taxes and other fees still apply. You can travel with as many companions throughout the year you like, one companion per flight.
No Foreign Transaction Fees: Earn your points while traveling outside the U.S. without paying a foreign transaction fee.
To recap, the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card offers quite a hefty bonus sign-up. With other large bonus offers like this, these card companies will most likely offer you additional one-time bonus points for adding a first authorized user or for making your first purchase within account opening.
However, this bonus offer is seen to be more valuable because you’ll be able to receive 6,000 bonus points each anniversary year and will partially compensate for the annual fee. The only cost is that the annual fee is not waived the first year, therefore requiring you to pay the $99 right off the bat once you are a cardholder.
Overall, business owners who travel often should consider the the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card.
Provide feedback in the comment section below by telling us your thoughts and experience with this card. Make sure to visit BankDealGuy to explore more credit card bonuses!
Learn more about this card here.
Alternative Credit Cards Options
There are some other business cards that would serve as an alternative to the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card, these are: the Chase Ink Business Preferred Credit Card and Capital One Spark Miles for Business.
The Chase Ink Business PreferredSM Card offers 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
You'll earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year; 1 point per $1 on all other purchases - with no limit to the amount you can earn. Furthermore, points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
This card does come with a $95 annual fee but does not have any foreign transaction fees.
The Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business offers up to 200,000 bonus miles worth up to $2,000 to spend on travel—flights, hotels & more as a limited time offer. Earn 50,000 bonus miles when you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months and earn 150,000 bonus miles when you spend $50,000 in the first 6 months of your account opening.
Your miles won't expire for the life of the account, and there are no categories to limit where or what you buy and you can earn 2 miles per $1 on every purchase.
There is an annual fee of $95, however, there is a $0 intro annual fee for the first year. Enjoy no foreign transaction fees and fly on any airline, anytime, with no blackout dates or seat restrictions.
• Chase Bank Bonuses. Chase usually offers the most sign-up bonuses out of all the big banks. Read up and enjoy several promotions for their Checking, Savings and Business accounts.
• HSBC Bank Bonuses. HSBC has some big value offers available for their Checking accounts. Some require hefty deposits to qualify. They also have an online Savings account offering a very competitive rate.
• Huntington Bank Bonuses. Huntington has Consumer Checking and Business Checking accounts available throughout the year.
• Discover Bank Bonuses. As an online bank, Discover offers high and competitive rates on their Savings, CD, and Money Market accounts. Enjoy excellent customer service nationwide.
• TD Bank Bonuses. TD Bank consistently offers great Checking account bonuses all year long. Savings account offers are less frequently available.
|Chase SapphireSM Checking||$1,000 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking® + Chase SavingsSM||$350 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase College CheckingSM||$100 Cash||Review|
|Chase Private Client||$2,000 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Accelerated Business Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Fast Track Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Community Business Checking||$200 Cash||Review|