If you’re a frequent at Hilton properties, why not get rewarded for it? Whether you stay for leisure or business, the Hilton Honors American Express Card is a great way to earn incentives for your stays! Upon approval, you can earn 75,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points with the Hilton Honors American Express Card after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
On top of that, you’ll earn 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Honors portfolio of brands, 5X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations, and 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your card.
This card also comes with NO ANNUAL FEE. If these features alone has sparked your interest, see below to learn more on what more this card has to offer!
Learn more about this card and its features here.
Table of Contents
Hilton Honors American Express Cards
- Hilton Honors American Express Card – has no annual fee; for those who just occasionally stay at Hilton properties and want to earn rewards
- Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card
- Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card – offers premium perks and credits to compensate for the annual fee
- The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card – recommended for business owners; with benefits and an annual fee equivalent to the Ascend Card
Amex Hilton Honors Card Summary
The Hilton Honors American Express Card offers 75,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points with the Hilton Honors American Express Card after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
You'll have the opportunity to earn 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Honors portfolio of brands., 5X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations, & 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
This card comes with annual fee and no foreign transaction fees, so you can enjoy international travel without additional fees on purchases made abroad.
Amex Hilton Honors Bonus Points
After spending $1,000 in the first 3 months of opening your account, you can earn 75,000 Hilton Honors bonus points. There are many ways to go about this. Down below are several options to acquiring these points.
• Plastiq - Using Plastiq allows you to pay for your personal expenses such as rent, tuition, mortgage, auto lease etc. Although they charge a 2.5% processing fee for using your credit card, this will contribute to the card bonus that you will receive. There is also a referral program that allows you to earn "Free-Free Dollars" that goes towards processing fees as well.
• Funding Checking Accounts - When it comes to funding a checking account, opening your initial deposit with a credit card is the usual way to go about it. However, if you want to have more opportunities, you should open a checking account that offers a sign-up bonus. This allows you to work towards bonuses from not one but two different sources instead. Banks like Chase, Huntington Bank, TD Bank and BBVA offers credit card funding, and for your opening deposit, you can often fund anywhere from $50-$1000 with a credit card, depending on what bank offers it.
• Gift Card Purchases With Using a Credit Card - Another way to acquire the bonus is using your credit card to purchase gift cards. Buying a a gift card or an individual merchant card typically do not require a purchase fee and are used towards leisure, so gift cards are ideal. However, gift cards such as a Visa or American Express do incur purchase fees because they can be spent anywhere, but gift cards that are specifically for a certain online shopping site such as Amazon or eBay don't.
As for a Citi Credit Card, you should call customer service and ask them to lower your Cash Advance limit to $0 before making any purchases because Citi tends to read gift card purchases as a Cash Advance.
Ideally, you should do this with any card just to be safe. Lastly, there is such thing as a discounted gift card which can be purchased on Raise or eBay. If you use a credit card often for everyday purchases, it can build your credit score that will contribute towards paying for things such as bills and taxes.
Earning Hilton Points
Every $1 spent at Hilton properties or partner hotels and resorts earns 7 Hilton Honors points. Every $1 spent at U.S. gas stations, U.S. grocery stores, and U.S. restaurants earns an unlimited 5 points. All other purchases earn an unlimited 3 points per $1 spent.
You also receive 500 bonus points whenever you use your Hilton Honors Card to reserve a room when you book. Remember to use the same card to pay for your room when you arrive at the Hilton property.
Your points don’t expire as long as you have some account activity, such as earning points through card transactions or redeeming points for stays, during a 12-month period.
Redeeming Hilton Points
Use your earned points across any of Hilton’s hotel brands. These include:
- Embassy Suites
- Hampton Inn
- Hilton Garden Inn
- Hilton Grand Vacations
- Homewood Suites
- Waldorf Astoria
No matter where you go or what you’re looking for, Hilton features a large selection of hotel brands to give you many options.
You can use Hilton Honor’s Points & Money option to redeem your points or pay cash to cover an entire stay. You can also use a combination of both. Your points are flexible since you can use as many as you want on a given redemption.
I recommend paying cash for lower cost stays, such as those less than $125 per night. After doing so, you can then use the points earned to book free nights at top-tier hotels that get expensive when paying in cash.
Hilton doesn’t have an award chart like other hotel chains do. Therefore, you’ll need to search for travel dates and destinations on your own to find the best deals. Fortunately, their site makes it easy to find places to stay with points.
You can also search across all their brands in one area, and change dollar and point amounts on the side.
Amex Hilton Honors Cardholder Benefits
Like many credit cards, the Hilton Honors Card comes with a good amount of travel and purchase protection. Here are some other benefits that this card offers:
Complimentary Hilton Honors Silver Status: Get complementary Hilton Honors Silver status, complete with great benefits that include 15% bonus on all base points earned and more. Earn Hilton Honors Gold status if you spend at least $20,000 per year. Gold status comes with better benefits than Silver, including a 25% bonus on base points.
No Foreign Transaction Fee: Avoid paying the 2.7 – 3% foreign transaction fee other cards have when traveling outside the states.
Overall, the Hilton Honors American Express Card is good for those who don’t wish to pay an annual fee for earning Hilton Honors points. This is a great card because you’ll be able to receive great features, such as 7X on Hilton hotels or resorts.
Because American Express isn’t accepted as widely as other credit cards, they make it easier for you to earn points.
While the points are easy to rack up, they aren’t seen as the most valuable to some cardholders being that it takes a lot to receive a free night’s stay at most hotels.
So, if you need a rewards credit card for your travels that will offer better earning rates for things like airfare, rental cars, and such then you might want to look into better cards rather than this one.
But, if you are looking for a solid hotel rewards card with no annual fee, then this could be a good fit. Please provide feedback in the comment section below by telling us your thoughts and experience with this card.
Learn more about this card and its features here.
Alternative Credit Cards Options
If you are not particularly interested in a Hilton Honors branded card, then here are some alternative cards that offers various other rewards such as cash back that might interest you more. These include HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard® Credit Card and Chase Freedom Card.
The Chase Freedom® Card offers a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
You'll earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate and an unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases. You cash back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
This card has no annual fee and you'll get a free credit score that's updated weekly with Credit JourneySM.
• Chase Bank Bonuses. Chase usually offers the most sign-up bonuses out of all the big banks. Read up and enjoy several promotions for their Checking, Savings and Business accounts.
• HSBC Bank Bonuses. HSBC has some big value offers available for their Checking accounts. Some require hefty deposits to qualify. They also have an online Savings account offering a very competitive rate.
• Huntington Bank Bonuses. Huntington has Consumer Checking and Business Checking accounts available throughout the year.
• Discover Bank Bonuses. As an online bank, Discover offers high and competitive rates on their Savings, CD, and Money Market accounts. Enjoy excellent customer service nationwide.
• TD Bank Bonuses. TD Bank consistently offers great Checking account bonuses all year long. Savings account offers are less frequently available.
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||$450 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Premier Checking Member FDIC||Up To $600||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||$200 Cash||Review|
|HSBC Advance Checking Member FDIC||Up To $240||Review|
|Chase Total Business Checking®||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Premier Plus CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|Chase Total Checking®||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 25 Checking||$500 Cash||Review|
|Huntington 5 Checking||$200 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking®||$150 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Plus Business Checking||$750 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Unlimited Business Checking||$400 Cash||Review|
|Huntington Bank Business Checking 100||$200 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Beyond CheckingSM||$300 Cash||Review|
|TD Bank Convenience CheckingSM||$150 Cash||Review|