Discover Bank Taking Out a Personal Loan in a Rising Rate Environment: Even after recent increases, we are currently in a historically low interest rate environment. We can’t predict how much more, or if, rates will continue to rise or how exactly we’ll be affected, so this may still be an opportunity to take advantage of the rate environment when it comes to personal loans.
While personal loan rates are generally determined primarily by the applicant’s credit history, if federal interest rates continue to go up, so too could rates on personal loans. Based on historical data, there is the chance that federal interest rates will continue to rise from here, as they were as high as 20% in 1980. A personal loan typically offers a fixed rate, meaning whatever rate you borrow money at today won’t be affected by interest fluctuations in the future.
Discover Bank is available nationwide. See below on more info regarding Discover Bank Taking Out a Personal Loan in a Rising Rate Environment.
Editor’s Note: Choosing Discover Bank is a smart choice whether you’re banking online or looking for the best return rates. See our full list of Discover Bank Deals, Bonuses, Rates, and Promotions.
|Discover Bank Online Savings||$200 Cash||Review|
|Discover Cashback Debit||$360 Cash Back||Review|
|Discover Bank CD||Up to 1.00% APY||Review|
|Discover Bank Money Market||Up to 0.35% APY||Review|
|Discover Bank IRA CD||Up to 1.00% APY||Review|
Table of Contents
Discover Bank Taking Out a Personal Loan
There are two primary interest rate variables to consider with a personal loan:
- It May Be Less Expensive to Take Out a Personal Loan
- Did you know that receiving a fixed rate personal loan for unexpected expenses such as vehicle repair or healthcare may be available to you? Or you might consider one for a much needed family vacation, or paying off a few bills.
- Whatever the reason, now may still be a compelling time to consider a personal loan for your specific situation.
- By locking in a fixed rate, you can at least give yourself some certainty about what you’ll be paying in the months or years to come.
- Combining Your Debts Into One Loan
- Perhaps you were recently unemployed, had unexpected medical expenses, or simply lost sight of your bills. Regardless of the reason, it could be a good time to consider consolidating your debt into one more easily manageable payment.
- Attempting to keep track of all your accounts can be difficult, so a personal loan could allow you to move high-interest debt into one monthly payment at a lower rate.
- Simplifying your financial life and lowering your overall interest rate could save you time and money going forward.
More Background on the Fed
- It may be helpful to understand some context on how federal interest rates work generally.
- If you were to ask an everyday person what’s happening with interest rates, they might say it’s because of “The Fed” or The Federal Reserve System.
- According to the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, the purpose of the Fed is to set monetary policy that stabilizes the U.S. economy and overall financial system.
- “The Fed” is responsible for 4 major categories:
- Conducting monetary policy such as influencing credit rates
- Supervising and regulating banks and financial institutions
- Maintaining stability in our financial system
- Providing financial services to the U.S. government
- The “Fed funds rate” is the primary tool used by the Fed to control the interest rate banks charge each other, and therefore how likely they are to lend money to consumers or other businesses. It also impacts how high or low rates will be for borrowers.
- Hopefully this overview gives you a bit clearer picture on how interest rates work.
Discover Bank Online App
- All your banking, in your pocket or purse. Download the Discover Bank Online App today via iOS or Android.
Still Have Questions?
- Reach someone helpful 24/7. Call 1-800-347-7000! Ask to be connected with the Discover Bank Online Security Center.
With the Discover Cashback Debit Account:
• Earn 1% cash back on up to $3,000 in debit card purchases each month, which lets you earn up to a total of $360 Debit Card Cashback Bonus per year.
• Anyone can open a Discover Cashback Debit account online
• No monthly fees or monthly balance requirements
• With over 60,000 no-fee ATMs in the U.S., Discover is always nearby.
• Move money easily and securely with just a few clicks or taps (transfers to existing discover accounts are immediate)!
• Manage your account and avoid late fees by paying bills online.
• Deposit checks on the go with your phone or automatically with direct deposit.
Sometimes taking out a personal loan is needed during our lifetime, so hopefully this Discover Bank Taking Out a Personal Loan in a Rising Rate Environment guide helped you! Let us know if it did in the comment section below or help add onto our list! Let us know about your thoughts and experience with Discover Bank Online in the comment section below! If you’re interested in more info regarding Discover Bank Online offers, check out our full listing of Discover Bank Online Bank Deals, Offers, Bonuses, and Promotions. Be sure to check back on BankDealGuy for more bank deals!
• Available nationwide online
• Earn high yields with flexible access to your cash.
• Earn 0.35% APY balances $100,000 and over
• Earn 0.30% APY balances under $100,000
• Open with as little as $2,500.
• No hidden fees. No surprises.
• Easy cash access via debit or check, or via ATM at over 60,000 no-fee ATMs
• Get started and open a Discover Money Market Account in 3 easy steps.